Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching adults    

Teaching adults

Kita19
Portugal

Teaching adults

Hello!

I �m going to start teaching English to... my husband! Big smile He had English at school, but it was a loooooong time ago and he wasn �t that good... Tongue He only knows some basic sentences, so I think he is a beginner, right? I decided to use New Headway Beginners with him. What do you think of this book? I �ve never used it. Any tips on how to teach one-to-one? I �ve only taught classes and only children... so any tips are more than welcome. Smile

Thanks a lot!

Patricia

8 Sep 2014      

MoodyMoody
United States

Good luck! It was HIS idea, wasn �t it? If it wasn �t, you may want to reconsider teaching him. It changes the relationship in the marriage.

The first and most important thing is to treat him like an adult. Let him make suggestions. I would start with vocabulary that he wants, needs, and would use. You should have a good idea of this, e.g., if he needs English for work, teach business English. If his hobby is woodworking, teach the names of tools and trees (for the wood). If he wants to role play in the bedroom.... you �re on your own!

Set up a time for using English, every day or once a week, or whatever works for you. DO NOT correct his English at other times unless specifically asked. Another idea might be quid pro quo: he teaches you something as well.

If Portuguese TVs are set up for it, consider watching with English captions or subtitles.

And remember, this is an opportunity for you to improve your own English. Be honest and admit the problems you may still have.

I �m sorry that I don �t know the book either, but in my opinion, the book matters less than the teacher-student relationship.

8 Sep 2014     

yanogator
United States

MoodyMoody has good suggestions. Another thing is to set aside some time each day when the two of you speak only English. YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND PORTUGUESE DURING THIS TIME. At first, it will have to be short - maybe 15 minutes a day. After he learns more, you can work up to an hour each day. If the phone rings during that time, answer it in English, and you do not understand the other person unles he or she is speaking in English. If you stick to that, he will progress faster because he will be forced to practice.

Will there be any opportunities for him to practice outside the home? Does he have friends or coworkers who speak English? If he can find times to practice, he �ll be very happy with his progress. A friend of mine is beginning to study Spanish, and there happens to be a taqueria just a few blocks from his house, so he plans to sit there and just listen to people at first, then try to say a few words as he learns more.

Bruce

8 Sep 2014     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi,

About the book: I have been using it for years and I like it very much.

About teaching your husband: It is quite difficult to teach a person from the family because if a small problem happens, the class will be relayed because other things become suddenly very important. To avoid that, you could perhaps teach your husband and an other person, a co-worker or a friend who wants to learn. When there are more people, it becomes more serious. I did this when my daughter was a teenager. She had French classes with one of her teachers (math teacher). I worked very well. Both were treated as just students and not members of my family.

9 Sep 2014