Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Urgent    

Urgent

Rachid84b
Morocco

Urgent

Hi all, Hope you are all doing well.Would you mind changing this sentence from active into passive form using all the words? "he helped his parents do their homework" start with : their homework.................... thx in advance

12 Sep 2014      

f.sonego
Brazil

Would be "his parents were helped to do their homework by him"?

12 Sep 2014     

JOHNPALMER
United Kingdom

Their homework was done by his parents with his help

13 Sep 2014     

jannabanna
France

Just a question:  Why would his parents be doing homework?  Isn �t there a mistake in the first sentence?  

If not then I would put: Their homework was done with the help of their son.  As a native speaker I don �t see how you can use ALL the words in the active sentence.  It just doesn �t sound right.

What do other natives think?

Janet

13 Sep 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The same occurred to me, Janet. It �s more likely that the parents helped the son with his homework. I think sometimes people attending advanced English classes are given these exercises to see if they can manipulate the language. 
I wonder if I �m right? 

13 Sep 2014     

yoke74
Bulgaria

Could it be: Their homework was helped being done by him. �Their � substitutes �parents � in the passive. 

13 Sep 2014     

medderraz
Morocco

Si Rachid, what about this : "Their homework was done by them (i,e. the parents) with the help of their son" . As for the active sentence "correctness" , there is here a cultural point, Janet & cunliffe, which relates t o the problem of illitracy in some countries( like Morocco) , in this case , we may find illitrate parents attending Literacy classes, & therefore doing homework with the help of their son or children who are already literate !

13 Sep 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@medderaz - Oh, of course. Thank you for this answer. I should have realised this as many of �my � parents are like this and in fact I �m trying to set up a class for parents.  

This has reminded me of that riddle that challenges cultural stereotypes... the one where the victim�s mother turns out to be the surgeon who operates on him. 

14 Sep 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

I have seen many a parent do their kids (school) homework, too. But it is possible the word �homework � refers to household chores? It would be in my native tongue. A such, "The homework was done by his parents with his help" might sound alright either way. As footnote, I never liked giving homework. Instead I instructed my students to clean their room before their parents asked them to do so. Cheers.

14 Sep 2014     

Rachid84b
Morocco

thank you all,

I �m so sorry, I made a mistake in the sentence. It �s "housework" not "homework".

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrry again

14 Sep 2014     

jannabanna
France

Ah!  That �s more like it!  Easier to understand now!

14 Sep 2014