Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is a triphthong a single vowel sound or two sounds?    

Is a triphthong a single vowel sound or two sounds?

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Is a triphthong a single vowel sound or two sounds?

Hello fellow teachers, I use synthetic phonics to teach children to read and spell words. They divide the word into separate phonemes but I �m not sure of how to divide words like hour, shower and flower according to the British pronunciation. Can I teach them as diphthongs followed by another vowel? I googled images for the 44 English sounds but did not find triphthongs in these images. Thanks

19 Sep 2014      

maryse pey�
France

It is 3 vowel sounds as in �flower � for example.

19 Sep 2014     

almaz
United Kingdom

John Wells made an interesting point in his (alas discontinued) blog saying that the problem with defining a triphthong comes down to much the same as defining a syllable - if you agree that, like a diphthong, it (a triphthong) is a vowel glide within a single syllable. Have a look at this:

20 Sep 2014     

Zora
Canada

Do you actually need to teach triphthongs? Some languages are quite clear about them. Spanish, for example, is a language where diphthongs and triphthongs have clear rules - i.e. three vowels together are normally considered a triphthong - 3 vowels, 3 vowel sounds. However, English doesn �t. For example, two vowels together in a word that make 3 sounds is considered a triphthong, but this can change depending on pronunciation, and often regional dialects of that word. 

Personally, I �d not really touch the topic unless I really had to. 

20 Sep 2014     

joy2bill
Australia

Tripthong, diphthong...alas we are talking about something that native speakers would probably not know.
Do we have to complicate our beautiful language experience?
I agree with Zora... Leave it alone.

21 Sep 2014     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Actually we are not trying to complicate anything but just trying to make sure that we are on the right way. If �phoneme count � is one of the activities that help children spell, then I have to be careful when I teach children if the word � hire � , for example, has 2 phonemes or 3 phonemes. I like accuracy if you don �t mind.

22 Sep 2014     

almaz
United Kingdom

Agree completely, Riham. So, what �s your opinion on the link I gave above?

22 Sep 2014     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thanks a lot almaz; It �s been a great help. It seems it �s safer to consider triphthongs as two separate vowels even though that may not always apply to all words in BBC pronunciation.

23 Sep 2014