Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > One-to-One Classes for Teenager    

One-to-One Classes for Teenager

colibrita
United Kingdom

One-to-One Classes for Teenager

Hi All,

I �ve been giving one-to-one �classes � at home to an eleven-year-old girl for a few months but I �m running out of ideas. Her parents aren �t looking for me to do a �traditional � class with her, they want me to concentrate on improving her listening skills, and tell me they just want me to chat to her. Well, easier than said done even if she is a very sweet girl. Her level is very elementary and I feel the need for more structure than just playing games and �chatting �. It doesn �t feel to me that it �s so effective to spend an hour talking AT somebody. I feel that this approach only has a chance of working with students who are immersed in the language for at least several hours a day, not just two hours a week.

Do any of you give �classes � in this way? I �d love to hear your ideas. Or should I talk to the parents and say that their daughter �s progress will be much faster if these classes are approached in a more methodical, structured manner? Help!

22 Sep 2014      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I, for one, would also appreciate any suggestions of a course for such a student as my colleague has such a student and asked me about a book she could use to improve conversational English. Any suggestions?

@Colibrita: some great resources here
http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/grammar-vocabulary/grammar-videos
http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/grammar-vocabulary/phrasal-verb-videos
http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/uk-now/video-uk           

22 Sep 2014     

Elina21
Greece

Hi to you too!
I think that you could bring several pictures in the class, from magazines, from Internet, from books on different thematic areas, such as schooling, nature, recycling, feelings, family, friends and just ask the child for description and personal views. She will try to describe and you �ll be there to build on her vocabulary and structures. She needs opportunities to express herself on everyday things she can relate to, so as to feel confident enough to communicate with you in the target language. You can then play computer games with her, like giving a multiple choice exercise  which she needs to read aloud and then choose the right word/structure and get points. You can also play hangman or make domino games based on the vocabulary/structure you cover in each area. You could also read short stories asking her to explain certain parts you "don �t understand" or to ask you questions about the story so as for you to search the text and find answers. Songs are also a good idea because kids grasp them easily, they produce them easily and parents are happy.  
I know that maybe you tried all of these things and that maybe you don �t feel they are worth much, but listening is connected to all the other three skills and you need to implement them in a methodical but not necessarily "structured" way with tons of grammar exercises.
You also need to talk to the parents and understand better what they really need to hear from their child. This would help your work.
I hope that I gave you some help. If not, ...sorry!
Take care!

22 Sep 2014     

Zora
Canada

Parents are strange! lol I�ve never heard of such a thing. You and I know that kids need to participate a little to learn or retain anything. Maybe you can bring in a clip of something, a youtube video or cartoon clip and talk about what you two saw and heard. Ask her questions about the video, even if they are yes or no questions, at least that way you know if she is at least understanding what she is hearing. 

22 Sep 2014     

colibrita
United Kingdom

You guys are so great! Thank you so much for taking the time to help. Hug

23 Sep 2014     

douglas
United States

My first thoughts parallel Linda �s a bit--video clips, popular TV series, etc. view in pieces and discuss meaning, understanding.

23 Sep 2014     

florimago
Spain

why not roleplays using realia or even toys ( I remember using my daughter �s cash regiter!!! ) ? Optical Illusions or find the differences may work too .

23 Sep 2014     

Hugues
Canada

Have you thought about a board game where discussion is needed? Maybe it would be nice to go away from the teacher-student relationship. It would make for a more natural setting with less pressure for both of you. 

23 Sep 2014