Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > slim and thin    

slim and thin

hussamk2000
Yemen

slim and thin

Hi everybody!!! I need some help. Can you clearly explain the difference between `slim` and `thin` in meaning? I appreciate your help in advance.

30 Sep 2014      

Zora
Canada

There isn�t a difference really between the two. They both mean the same thing. 
However, calling somebody slim is, in my opinion, nicer than calling them thin.

I am not sure why, but thin sounds a tad more negative or less flattering than slim.

30 Sep 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Zora is right. �Slim � is a compliment; �thin � is pejorative. 

Everybody wants to be slim; nobody wants to be thin.

Erm - except me - I could live with it. I could even live with being skinny. Oh, what the hell, let�s go for it! I dream about being skinny. I would love it, but my dear husband would complain. At least, he says he would, or he would be in big trouble... 

30 Sep 2014     

memthefirst
Turkey

If you ask me the word "thin" is neutral.It does not have a negative or positive connotation and that �s why we teach that Word before we teach slim and skinny."Slim" has a positive connotation and "skinny" has a negative connotation.

30 Sep 2014     

Zora
Canada

Thin is definitely not neutral... They teach it as such, but for native speakers it isn�t... when I think thin, I often think of a person who is sickly looking, anorexic looking or model-like body but not healthy model-like. 

Cunliffe! Here�s one for you! It was on my FB thread this morning. I had a good chuckle when I saw it. 

30 Sep 2014     

douglas
United States

Slim is definitely nicer than thin, but (as a guy) I don �t really see thin as being a negative term (unless the intonation or context makes it so).

30 Sep 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

As a woman, I have to agree with Zora and Cunliffe that thin is unhealthy whereas slim is healthy.

People might say he is too thin, but they would not say she is too slim.

We also say there is a slim chance of something happening, but we do not say there is a thin chance.

30 Sep 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

redcamarocruiser brings up a good point. Slim is used only to refer to people or in the idiom mentioned, "a slim chance." Or even stronger, "There are two chances: slim and none."

Thin can also refer to animals, layers, or even consistency of liquid.

30 Sep 2014     

hussamk2000
Yemen

Thanks . You were really amazing.

30 Sep 2014     

CoLMC
France

I couldn �t say less.... amazing you are! Thank you for the question and ... the informative answers!
Corinne

1 Oct 2014