Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Using Skype at school?    

Using Skype at school?

Missbrittany
France

Using Skype at school?

Dear colleagues, I come to you for a little survey: I planned to use Skype (occasionally) in my classroom to have my students communicate with their correspondents. I thought it was a great idea, silly me! Ermm
I �ve been told Skype wasn �t �safe � and so that I couldn �t use it with the school network. Period.
I believe lots of teachers use it around the world. I even heard of French schools having projects with Skype. If you are one of these lucky teachers, could you let me know how you do it?
Thanks, and have a great day!

1 Oct 2014      

karagozian
France

I �m also convinced Skype could be a useful tool for language teachers. Sadly I have the same stupid school administrators who decided that skype and network are dangerous.
Last year I had one of my students who needed to do a skype interview for a work experience in Canada. I had to use my own material and phone connexions etc to by-pass the schoolsystem.  So it is.  We are not all lucky, so tresspassing is easy but it has a cost of course. I �m sure part of your students can skype with their own sophisticated phones which we mostly do not have.
Anyway have a great day !

1 Oct 2014     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

We had 2 Skypes last school year : with Spain (it was very emotional and great, my students still remember it) and with the USA (not so emotional, but also very good one)
We had 2 problems: 1. different time zones, so it �s hard to arrange the time, 2. when a student begins to speak all English flies away from hisher mind, so I understand we need to practise simple dialogues more before using the Skype.
And one more idea - preparing Skype talk discuss what theme you will take, take one theme for one talk.

2 Oct 2014