Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Any time or anytime?    

Any time or anytime?

spinney
United Kingdom

Any time or anytime?

Hi Folks!
I �m not sure about this for some reason but do we respond with "anytime" or "any time" after somebody has thanked us? The books I have don �t say and as it �s something you normally hear rather than write I must confess to being a little non-plussed on this one.Confused

11 Oct 2014      

sarasantos
Portugal

Hi!

Take a look here:

Hope it helps!

11 Oct 2014     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thanks Sara! It would appear that a lot of people can �t agree on this one but most say both. Very helpful in any case. (or is it "anycase?Confused)

11 Oct 2014     

sarasantos
Portugal

Anytime or should I say any time! Wacko

11 Oct 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/any-time#any-time__16

11 Oct 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Any time. All right?

11 Oct 2014     

yanogator
United States

Although there is a slight difference in meaning, I would say that both are correct. If you say "anytime", it means "at any time", meaning that you are available for such service whenever the other person needs you.

If you say "any time", I think you are shortening it from "at any time", saying "I can help you at any time". But, since "anytime" means "at any time", they are interchangeable.

OK, so maybe there isn �t really a difference. I would say that "anytime" is preferable, just because it is complete, rather than being a shortened form. Sorry, Lynne, but I have to disagree with you, ever so slightly.

Bruce

11 Oct 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Anytime � is slang and will no doubt be deemed acceptable at somepoint, but that point has not yet been reached in my neck of the woods. That is, mainstream English. 

I still love Bruce xxx

11 Oct 2014     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thanks for all those answers folks. Clap I �d better go for the standard "any time," and fly the flag. I just wanted to use it in an exercise sheet I �m doing and to tell the truth either could be used as it �s supposed to be an informal conversation. I �ll post it on Sunday evening as I haven �t put one up in a while. 

11 Oct 2014