Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Not only but also    

Not only but also

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Not only but also

Dear colleagues,

I �m asking your help because I can �t find any good explanation either on the Internet or in any of my grammar books.

Namely, the inversion of the word order with the expression:
NOT ONLY..........BUT ALSO

I would say that the subject should be in both clauses the same, like for instance:

Not only do they lie, (but) they also steal. - but being optional.

However, I found examples, where the subjects are different:

Not only was the bathroom flooded, but the floor collapsed.

Now, if this is right- which means that the subject can also be different-, what about this sentence:

Reading beeauty magazines will do no narm and will even bring some prospects
if not only do we read them, but also consider their content with critical approach.

This sentence doesen �t sound good to me but I can �t say why. Can you?
I would also like to know if there is a comma befor but or not since some examples are with and the others without it.

I thank you for your answers and I wish yoou a nice Sunday.

12 Oct 2014      

Apodo
Australia

However, I found examples, where the subjects are different:

Not only was the bathroom flooded, but the floor collapsed. 

Although it seems there are different subjects- bathroom and floor - think of it this way: It seems there has been some sort of burst water pipe, or an overflowing bath tub perhaps. So:

Not only was the bathroom flooded (by water ), but the floor collapsed (under the weight of the water)

So you can see the subject in both case is the damage caused by the water

Reading beauty magazines will do no harm and will even bring some prospects 
if not only do we read them, but also consider their content with critical approach.

You are right. This sentence does sound awkward and unnatural. I think it is the use of �if � followed by �not only �, but in formal writing it can be done this way.  Compare: 
if we not only read them, but also consider their content with critical approach.

The comma divides the separate parts of the sentence. Not only does the comma divide the two parts of the sentence, but it also provides a natural pause for breath which helps with phrasing, particularly if the sentence is long.
It may not always be necessary.

12 Oct 2014     

FrauSue
France

Here is the explanation from "English Grammar Today" published by Cambridge University Press.

Inversion

Negative adverbs

In formal styles, when we use an adverb with negative meaning (e.g. never, seldom, rarely, scarcely, hardly) in front position for emphasis, we invert the subject (s) and auxiliary (aux)/modal verb:

Never [AUX]have [S]we witnessed such cruel behaviour by one child to another. (or We have never witnessed �)

Seldom does one hear a politician say �sorry�. (or One seldom hears �)

Expressions beginning with not

We also invert the subject and verb after not + a prepositional phrase or a clause in initial position:

Not for a moment did I think I would be offered the job, so I was amazed when I got it.

Not till I got home did I realise my wallet was missing.

NB: If there is no auxiliary in the original sentence, we use the appropriate form of the auxiliary �to do� to create inversion.

� I saw him only once.

� Only once did I see him.

Here and there

Inversion can happen after here, and after there when it is as an adverb of place. After here and there, we can use a main verb without an auxiliary verb or modal verb:

Here comes the bus!

Here�s your coffee.

I opened the door and there stood Michael, all covered in mud.

She looked out and there was Pamela, walking along arm in arm with Goldie.

Source: English Grammar Today, Cambridge University Press

12 Oct 2014