Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Helo needed    

Helo needed

İbrahim Arif
Turkey

Helo needed

I �m hungry.I  will/am going to  eat something.

Which one is correct

16 Oct 2014      

David Harry
France

Hi I will eat something/I am going to eat something Both are correct, both are in use, and more or less equivalent. David Harry

16 Oct 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

David is partly right. For the modern teenager they may be interchangeable, but for the more educated elderly they aren �t. �Will � is used when we make on the spot decisions. �Going to � or in speech �Gonna � is used when we have a more concrete plan. When my wife catches me out getting out of bed to check the fridge and asks me "What are you doing?" I might simply say "I �m having a bite." In other words, we use �will � for quick decisions (and promises or when we �re unsure), �going to � for when we have some kind of a plan, and the continuous for appointments and agreements. (Although my wife disagrees with my appointment at/in/with the fridge.) And lastly we use the present simple for schedules and timetables. So to your question: "Hmmm, I �m hungry. I �ll better have something to eat." Cheers, Peter

16 Oct 2014     

FrauSue
France

To expand on Peter �s excellent comment:
- "I will eat something" suggests a spontaneous decision, but it �s a strange way to phrase it. It �s more likely that the speaker would say "I �ll have something to eat." 
- In your sentence, the speaker has reflected on being hungry, so "I �m going to have something to eat" makes perfect sense.
- In UK English "I �ll better eat something" (Peter �s suggestion) wouldn �t be used. We would say "I had better eat something."

16 Oct 2014     

aysnr
Turkey

�will � is suitable for this situation because this is spontaneous decision without plan.

16 Oct 2014     

yanogator
United States

I don �t know about other countries, but in the US, "I will eat something" sounds uncomfortably formal. We would say "I �m going to get something to eat" or "I �m getting something to eat."

Bruce

16 Oct 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

# Frau Sue, you �re right. I �d say "I �d better" indeed. And probably even more realistic, I �d say "I �m hungry. What can I eat?" Or "What �s there to eat?" I �m off now. I �m gonna check the fridge. Cheers.

16 Oct 2014     

salouh
Tunisia

What about these sentences:
It �s cloudy. It �s going to rain.
She is pregnant. She is going to have a baby.

16 Oct 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

# Salouh. Both are correct as we are sure it is going to happen. �Will � is used for uncertainties: It �s cloudy. It probably will rain. However, to express certainty we could also say "It may rain" or "It might rain." There is no uncertainty with pregnancies (unless something horrible happens like a miscarriage). But you could also use the continuous: "She is having her baby in November." Just remember that there are many grammar rules, but even more exceptions! Cheers, Peter

17 Oct 2014