Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Teaching senior group of women    

Teaching senior group of women

ronit85
Israel

Teaching senior group of women

Hello to you all
 I have been teaching a group of four women for several years now.They are all grandmothers who have decided to improve their English skills and keep their minds working!They started as low intermediate students and today they are quite advanced.
We have studied a bit of everything including short stories, news items and discussing all kinds of topics.
I am planning this years lessons and I ran out of nice ideas. We don �t use a specific book so I use  different websites for materials.
I would be happy if any of you could suggest websites or other ideas to help me make this new school year as enjoyable as the previous years for me and the group and of course improve their English skills.
Thanks,
Ronit

19 Oct 2014      

Jayho
Australia

I have a nice idea for you - A&C.

A lot of ladies love art and craft - knitting, sewing, tapestry, paper crafts, calligraphy etc. These are hobbies that they often rediscover in their later years and appreciate even more than ever.

I have four suggestions:

1. Teach your friends - I think it would be lovely if they taught their favourite craft to the other ladies, in English.

2. Craft of the month - You could choose a different simple craft to explore each month and learn it using English.  Simple crafts might be French knitting, origami, simple cross stitch handkerchiefs etc. 

3. Gift time - If they can all knit you could choose a specific item such as socks, tea cosies, beanies, scarves etc and make some gifts for family and friends, once again, only using English. (I had a friend who decided one winter to knit lots of different tea cosies for her friends.  They were amazing and so very creative[even though she used patterns]

4. Knit for charity - If they can all knit or crochet you could make items for an international charity project such  as this or this. This not only brings in the English for the craft but also the English for the cause.

Cheers

Jayho

19 Oct 2014     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

Or how about performing a play for their families and friends?Smile

19 Oct 2014     

sarguero
Spain

Speaking about food you can use real food in class, making an easy dish and finishing the class eating it.

What �s your favourite...?,   I like, I don �t like, food vocabulary, colours, speaking or writing about the recipes........ should be topics easy to use and enjoyable for those women

19 Oct 2014     

ronit85
Israel

Thanks to all those who tried to help me Some of the ideas are just perfect! 

19 Oct 2014     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Let them speak about their grandchildren, this theme is very motivating for grandmothers. You can revise all the tenses ( if required) with the help of the grandchildren. 
What professions are the grandchildren going to have in future?
What hobbies do they have?
What interesting сties and places theirs grandchildren haven �t seen yet?
What funny habits did they have when they were little and so sweet?
It is not probably the most brilliant idea but the monologues and exchange information could be exciting.
Olga

20 Oct 2014