Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HI! I need help Past Simple & Present Perfect    

HI! I need help Past Simple & Present Perfect

carinita
Argentina

HI! I need help Past Simple & Present Perfect

How can I teach or demonstrate the different uses of the Past Simple and the Present Perfect?
Thanks!! 
P.S. If possible, include links to the material you mention.

21 Oct 2014      

spied-d-aignel
France

When you are looking for sthg particular , just type " Past simple prsent perfect " for ex in the small window called CONTENTS  at the top of the homepage here, then click on search and you will have all the documents related. Hope it helps. Hi from a teacher on holiday!!Smile

22 Oct 2014     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

I always start like this: I open and close the door. And say: " I opened the door."
Then I open the door , leave it opened and say: " I have opened the door." Then I write something on the board,erase it and say: "I wrote...". I write it again and say: "I have written..." Of course this is only for one usage of Present Perfect, but the most difficult to understand for my pupils I�d say. 

22 Oct 2014     

isa2
Austria

What about creating a situation like this:

(showing a letter to the class)
Say: "I have received this letter. Do you want to know when?
I received it yesterday."

(showing a photo)
Say: " I have taken this picture. Do you want to know when?
I took it yesterday/ two days ago...."

You can continue with similar examples. I am sure your students will understand quite quickly what the differnce in use is.
BTW, I will publish a WS on this tomorrow. You can have a look at it and see if it suits your purposes.

All the best,
isa

22 Oct 2014     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks for your help Heart Useful tips!

22 Oct 2014