Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > To massage or to give a massage?    

To massage or to give a massage?

dackala
Serbia

To massage or to give a massage?

I �m in doubt wheter one form or the other is better:

I gave her a massage.

I massaged her.

The other one is a bit strange, but is it wrong?

22 Oct 2014      

yanogator
United States

"I gave her a massage" is correct. The other form is only used for rubbing a particular area.

She had a headache, so I massaged her temples.
She massaged his back to relieve the strain.

Bruce

22 Oct 2014     

serzt
Turkey

EXAMPLES FROM CORPUS

Allow the water to cascade down up-stretched arms while you massage elbows and upper arms.
▪ He held his swagger-stick in his left hand and massaged it with his right.
▪ I reached up to massage the sinews and tendons of her back.
▪ I took off my shoes and rested my feet on her thighs as she massaged them.
▪ Or: Youngest Daughter, massage my temples.
▪ Sometimes my father would explain how you should never massage to the heart.
▪ Try using a smaller amount, massaging it between your fingers before applying hair to ensure that it �s evenly distributed.
▪ We have become expert in the physiognomy of pleasure, the nodes to press, the points to massage.

▪ I always find she gives me the best massage I have anywhere in the world.
▪ If your boyfriend gave you a massage would it do any good?
▪ Soigneur A person who gives massage and every other kind of comfort to exhausted, injured or demoralised riders.

22 Oct 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

It seems that there are 2 mistakes in the corpus examples (according to American English) 1. Sometimes my father would explain how you should never massage the heart. (not massage TO the heart, omit the TO) 2. Soigneur: A person who gives massages (It needs an s)

22 Oct 2014     

Zora
Canada

I massaged her. - This would mean you massaged her, the person. whole body. And Bruce is right, you�d normally say where.  i.e. "I massaged her leg."

I gave her a massage.  - This means you gave her a massage, usually focusing on a certain area. 

22 Oct 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

I regularly give my wife a massage. Sometimes she massages my back.  My cat said: "Can I have a massage, too?"

22 Oct 2014     

dackala
Serbia

Thank you all. Nice pic Peter. Yes, there are some mistakes as  redcamarocruiser posted.

I need to be more precise - I meant about the whole body, not just certain area. So, to give a massage is only related to certain area according to Zora?

What I wanted to say is to massage the whole body,  Or to give a massage to a whole body?

-A massage therapist gave her a massage or massaged her ( it lasted an hour and included face, arms, legs, fingers (whole body)).??

As I could see Bruce �s and Zora �s replies are the opposite ones or I didn �t understand?

23 Oct 2014     

yanogator
United States

No, Linda and I agree. We wouldn �t normally say "I massaged her." It isn �t wrong, but it isn �t what we say. If we start with "I massaged...", we name the area or body part.

bruce

23 Oct 2014     

dackala
Serbia

Oh, thanks I didn �t read correctly. I understand now, thanks to all!

23 Oct 2014