Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Participle Adjectives    

Participle Adjectives

Peter Hardy
Australia

Participle Adjectives

We all know how tricky the participle adjectives can be. (The verbs with -ed or -ing endings used as adjectives.) Usually I find answers to my questions on Google, in my books and of course on this lovely site. But for this question google and my books have let me down. Hope you won �t (well, I know you won �t). My question: We teach that the -ed ending is used for feelings. On many websites you �ll read: "You cannot use the past participle/�ed form with things because things do not have emotions: or "Past participles (-ed)are used to say how people feel." or "The past participle (-ed form of the verb) is used to express how a person is affected by something." (Three quotes from three grammar sites.) But how can I explain: All processed foods are bad for our health. (It �s about the adjective processed. The fact these foods are bad for you does not need discussion.) Or: Politicians lose their privileged health care system. (A wish, not a fact in most countries.) Or: a closed door and an opened window. Well, you get my drift. Over to you for your explanations and advise how to pass that on to my SS. Thank you in advance, Peter

29 Oct 2014      

maryse pey�
France

Hi Peter, I am used to say that �-ed � is the suffixe of the passive. Just ask the question �Do the foods process or are they processed ? �, in other words are they active or passive ? Do they act or not ? As in your 2nd exemple : the system does not deal with the creation of health care, it is a passive source from which privileges come for the men who created the system. Hope my humble explanation is clear enough to express what I understand. Friendly yours.

29 Oct 2014     

spinney
United Kingdom

I always tell them to think in a general way that ING is a quality of something (be it an experience or otherwise) and ED is the effect (or result - if you prefer). So processed food is the effect of processing. However, being privileged doesn �t really work in that way and as such Maryse Pey� �s explanation would work better in this case. Mind you, trying to pin a general grammar rule to anything in English is always bound to be complicated by the exceptions. But for ED I always say "effect" and it can nearly always be explained that way. 

29 Oct 2014     

yanogator
United States

Hi, Peter,
Clearly you can �t rely on generalizations. Maryse and spinney have given good answers. I just want to add that your second example shows another use of -ed -- to indicate having something. In this case, the health care system has privileges that accompany it. A jeweled crown has jewels. Our song America the Beautiful has a line "above the fruited plain," meaning a plain that has fruits. It �s not too common, but it is one usage.

Bruce

29 Oct 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I found an exaple that supports the active passive rule for participles, but it relates the particples to whether they are associated with an object or not. 

Difference between �ed� and �ing� at the end of an adjective

A small difference in the ending of an adjective can give the whole sentence a completely different meaning:

Sally is a very annoying person.

In this sentence, we�re describing how Sally has a tendency to annoy other people.

Sally is a very annoyed person.

In this sentence however, we�re talking about how Sally is herself very annoyed. The sentence has a totally different meaning to the first one, just by using �ed� instead of �ing� at the end of the adjective.

�Annoying� and �annoyed� are actually participles - the verb �annoy� has been changed into a participle by adding �ed� or �ing�. A participle does the same thing as an adjective - it�s used to describe a noun or pronoun. Usually, the �ed� participle means that the noun it�s connected with is the object of the participle. For instance, in the second sentence, the adjective �annoyed� is connected with the noun �Sally�. The �ed� in �annoyed� means that Sally is the object - something has annoyed her.

When you have an �ing� ending it usually means that the noun associated with the adjective is doingsomething, not having something done to it. For instance, in the first sentence, Sally is actively �annoying� other people.

from:http://www.englishtutes.com/Adjectives/Difference_between_ed_and_ing_at_the_end_of_an_adjective.shtml

29 Oct 2014     

thanhngaviethanit
Vietnam

I totally agree with you Maryse. The key point to distinguish the two is active and passive notion
So ask Ss IS FOOD PROCESSED itself? IS FOOD ORIGINALLY PROCESSED ? The answer must be NO=> The doer is PEOPLE.

29 Oct 2014     

valentinaper
Greece

Peter,
I think what you �re looking for in this case is the term "reduced relative clause".

We say "All foods <which are processed> are bad for you" but we omit the relative pronoun "which" along with the verb to be. So, the word processed becomes an adjective and precedes the verb.

For example:
I like ornaments which are hand-painted= I like hand-painted ornaments.

29 Oct 2014