Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help needed.    

Help needed.

heikeo53
Mexico

Help needed.

Could you please help me with these two questions? 1) Yesterday I did an exercise practicing the future continous. There was the following sentence: "This time tomorrow we ___________ (eat) seafood and __________ (watch) the sun set over Cascais beach." I think the correct answers are: will be eating/watching. The teacher �s guide, however, stated "be watching". Is it really necessary to repeat "be"? 2)In a conversation I found this question: "Would you like mineral or sparkling water?" I think water as well as mineral water can be sparkling or still? Am I wrong? Thanks in advance for your help.

8 Nov 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You are right - we don �t need to repeat the �be �. 

Maybe the choice of water was just mineral or sparkling and they didn �t have plain still water? I don �t know whether mineral water can be sparkling; maybe not. 

8 Nov 2014     

heikeo53
Mexico

Thanks a lot for your answer.

8 Nov 2014     

yanogator
United States

Not only is the second "be" not necessary. It doesn �t even sound correct to me.

Yes, mineral water can be sparkling, but the context here tells us that theirs is still.

Bruce

8 Nov 2014     

MargaritaRa
Russian Federation

Mineral water - water containing  minerals that comes From under the ground
Sparlkling water-is full of bubbles (sparkling wine) 

8 Nov 2014     

Tere-arg
Argentina

It is not wrong to repeat "be", but it is not natural.  We susually omit it.
Whenever you have two verbs for the same subject joined by "and", both  will be in the same tense.

As regards your second question,  I undesrtand tha  mineral water can be still or sparkling. I have never seen the question asked that way...

-Mineral water, please.
-Still or sparkling?

8 Nov 2014