Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I am in a vocabulary crunch    

I am in a vocabulary crunch

eliona-jc
Albania

I am in a vocabulary crunch

Greetings to everyone!!

I would appreciate it if you helped me with the following: 
In Albania, in public schools, we divide classes in  "Hours" of 45 min. Now, I know that we usually use "class" to refer to school subjects ( My next class is Biology) but can we refer to them as "hours" in the following sentence:
In my first hour I had Chemistry, 2nd hour PE etc?? I would kindly ask you to enlighten me on this vocabulary crunch :)
eliona

3 Dec 2014      

redcamarocruiser
United States

We say, "First period I have Chemistry, 2nd period PE."

3 Dec 2014     

dareka1
Japan

But we do often say, "I teach 20 hours a week" but mean 20 classes a week (this is more common if one class is 50 - 60 minutes, 45 seems a little short to say that. Class/Lesson/Period sounds good.

In your case, if it was 45 min teaching + 15 min break, you might be able to say "hour" but it doesn �t seem like it would be a 15 min break. 

4 Dec 2014     

douglas
United States

Americans typically use "period", but can also use "hour".

4 Dec 2014     

eliona-jc
Albania

I am indebted to you all for taking your precious time to help me. May God bless you abundantly :)

eliona

4 Dec 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Or lesson. Lesson one I have English and lesson 2 I have maths. As darek says, we would say, �I teach 20 hours a week � when we mean 20 lessons a week - as long as the lessons are about an hour long! 

4 Dec 2014