Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > L1 in class    

L1 in class

cunliffe
United Kingdom

L1 in class

A teacher at our school has complained that the EAL boys in her class sometimes speak their own language. She wants everybody speaking in English all of the time. I am against this. I think that L1 (first language) is their comfort zone; it can help reinforce what they are learning and can be used as a positive. Has anybody got any opinions about this? Know of any guidelines about using L1 in class?

Lynne 

4 Dec 2014      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi Lynne,
First of all, can the teacher speak their L1?
If I couldn �t speak my students � L1, their using it whenever they liked would make me uncomfortable.

Another thing, it �s a common belief that L1 is best avoided in an ESL class, if you want the students to progress.

Maybe these will be interesting for you
http://busyteacher.org/21273-l1-enclaves-esl-students-7-ways-to-stop.html
http://busyteacher.org/16148-to-l1-or-not-to-l1-first-language-6-questions.html
http://busyteacher.org/15093-english-only-embracing-l1-while-teaching-l2.html 

4 Dec 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

For me, it depends on the level and composition of the class. For�a class where speaking English is�very difficult, I allow L!. For a higher level class, where speaking English is possible but perhaps uncomfortable, I require English except for explanation of class instructions or vocabulary. For an advanced class,�I would require English 100%. Even with my low level,�I plan to ask for only English during my�end of the semester class party next week. Otherwise, my Dega and Marshallese students won �t have anyone to talk to. (My Denge and Somali students also speak Arabic, so they �d�be okay.) My Spanish speakers will just have to suck it up. Edit: I see that Sophia is talking about a single L1. I�m glad that I have a mixed-language class, because in many cases, they must speak English to be understood. And there is no way that a teacher can speak 25 languages, some of them rare. I conservatively estimate I�ve encountered speakers of that many different languages in my tenure. The six languages I mentioned above are in my current class. Anyone here speak all of them?

4 Dec 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi Moody:)
True, in my teaching situation there are a lot fewer L1s:) It �s native Ukrainian with the second Russian, or native Russian with the second Ukrainian, or native Romanian with the second Ukrainian, or native Ukrainian with the second Romanian. I �m fluent in Ukrainian and Russian, I do understand some Romanian but I don �t  speak it. Also, for us it �s rather EFL than ESL. 
Your teaching situation with so many L1s would make me feel very uncomfortable:) 

4 Dec 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The class I mention has 100% speakers of one language. The teacher doesn �t speak their language. Thanks for the links, Sophia. I think in your situation, MM, the way you approach it makes good sense. 

4 Dec 2014     

PhilipR
Thailand

I agree that teachers should encourage their students to speak English as much as possible, but expecting this all the time is unrealistic. Sometimes there are situations in which it could be useful, such as one student explaining a task to another. This is handy if the teacher doesn �t speak the same language. If a teacher insists on 100% English, there might be very little said in class. If this happens only occasionally, it should not be seen as threatening IMO.

The same is probably true for teachers. They should speak English in class as much as possible, and not revert to the students � first language too quickly if they can speak it. Although using English all the time is a must for teachers who don �t speak students � L1, it can be a life saver when students don �t understand instructions, after all other options have been exhausted.

Btw, if you want to be that perfect English teacher, read this old blog of mine 😎: http://www.ajarn.com/blogs/phil-roeland/the-ideal-teacher/

4 Dec 2014     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I don �t allow Spanish e.g. with students preparing PET or exams higher than that one, but even with them sometimes you have to fall back on L1 if they don �t get an explanation ... But it always depends on the kind of students you have, I �ve a group of 15 students for whom English is really difficult and with them I need to use L1 sometimes during class, I can �t help it ...
I think Moody Moody explained it perfectly. 

5 Dec 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Dear Lynne, I would tell that colleague to get real. She �s asking the impossible. Moody and Sophia are quite right. In Australia they �ve tried to teach the Aboriginals English by forbidding them to speak their own language, with well documented, disastrous results. Nowadays we have bi-lingual schools for them. To give your colleague an idea what it means to learn another language, you could suggest her to learn these kids � language and only speak that language i.e. in the staffroom. See how she goes. My students speak together about 12 different languages, and as such we need English to communicate together, but I really enjoy the cacophony when they explain things to each other. An anecdote: One particular Chinese guy didn �t speak English at all and he answered my questions in Chinese. As I speak a few languages as well, I started to reply to his Chinese in Dutch, French and German. We had a few good laughs and .... now he starts speaking English. Not to forget that I have learned a few words in their languages as well, which helps (very little) too. At least it shows them they are not on their own. Last but not least, Phil �s blog on being a good teacher makes good reading for your colleague, too. Cheers, Peter

5 Dec 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thanks guys. yes, I think she is asking the impossible. Loved Philip �s article although I think having all those showers is no substitute for strong deodorant (!) and I like your biscuit tray, Peter. 
Lynne 

5 Dec 2014