Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help please    

help please

badr.a7
Morocco

help please

Which sentece is correct? We don �t only need hard work to succeed. We don �t need only hard work to succeed. We don �t need hard work only to succeed.

6 Jan 2015      

Gi2gi
Georgia

I think the following would be  better:  "We need not only hard work to succeed" or "We need more than hard work to succeed"- if you mean that just hard work is not enough.

6 Jan 2015     

donika
Poland

I would go with the first 1 :-) "We don ´t only need hard work to succeed" But as the above mentioned post points out, it depends what you �re trying to say.

6 Jan 2015     

nmlkr
Morocco

We usually place adverbs before verbs. In the affirmative the sentence would be:

We only need ..........to succeed.

In the negative, we place the adverb between the aux. and the verb . So the sentence would be:

We don �t only need ..............to succeed.

6 Jan 2015     

yanogator
United States

I agree with nmlkr, but I will add another option:

You could also have the positive "We need only hard work to succeed", which would have the negative "We need not only hard work to succeed"

Bruce

6 Jan 2015     

pilarmham
Spain

What is success, I wonder ?

6 Jan 2015     

keramina
France

I would say both the first and third sentences are correct. The middle one sounds incorrect to me because we don �t usually separate the verb from its complement with an advert or anything.

7 Jan 2015     

keramina
France

I would say both the first and third sentences are correct. The middle one sounds incorrect to me because we don �t usually separate the verb from its complement with an advert or anything.

7 Jan 2015