Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

rashou
Tunisia

help

today i was telling my pupils about the importance of spelling and how one letter could change the meaning completely and make them sound rude where they meant to be polite and cause them problems with others but could not find an example. could you help with word that become bad words if you just change one letter. thanks

8 Jan 2015      

IDIOMAMALAGA
Spain

Hi Rashou,

Depending on the age of your pupils, think of variations of between �i � and �e �.  Neck and nick are quite harmless for all audiences.  Bet and bit, also.  Deck and ... well, that would only be suitable for mature students. 

Hope that helps. 

8 Jan 2015     

Julia45
Slovakia

These vary in terms of offensiveness, so feel free to choose the ones you like (just imagine how different the words are if you replace the asterisk with different letters): *ART, D*CK, *UNT,  SHI*, TI*

For more harmless examples, try using KISS vs KILL,  LAMP vs RAMP, HIT vs HOT, etc. 

8 Jan 2015     

FrauSue
France

It might be better to give them some humorous examples rather than rude ones.

There were some bottles of bear at the party. (My pupils often mix up beer and bear.)
Would you like some chocolate mouse for dessert? (Missing "s")
Who are you today? (Instead of "how" - it sounds like you have an identity crisis!)
My uncle and ant live in California. (Is he married to an insect? Missing "u".)
It was a supper party =  We had dinner. / It was a super party = We had a lot of fun.
We sang during the voyage = All the passengers were musical. / We sank during the voyage = It was a naval disaster. 

Slightly rude: "I went to the clothes shop and I bought a new shit" - you can �t forget the "r"! 

8 Jan 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

They are good folk vs They are good f***k (a single vowel matters here) :))
and, of course, i agree that it depends on the level of maturity of your students :)
Cheers 

8 Jan 2015     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

I agree with FrauSue! You can make some funny sentences yourself using "pan" and "pen"; "deer" and "dear", " sheep" and "ship", etc.

8 Jan 2015     

rashou
Tunisia

thanks all of you
i just want it to be rude but not big words just to
make them understand that one letter matters 

8 Jan 2015     

douglas
United States

My favorite example to use in this case is:

"I haven �t seen you in a while. You look really fat have you changed your diet?" (fit)

Cheers,
Douglas

8 Jan 2015     

Minka
Slovenia

I have a similar problem with pronunciation. My students can �t hear  the difference between "leak" and "lick", "this" and "these", so I don �t like using words like sheet, beach etc. I still do, though. And explain them a million times. 

I can �t remember anything you could use, sorry. I know it happens from time to time that a students writes it �s worm outside, but nothing else. 

8 Jan 2015     

mariajosefuster
Spain

I love the video "·The Italian Man who Went to Malta"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFQFvSPhQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjXGywPzkw0

8 Jan 2015     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Minka,

I often use music/rhythm cues to get students used to English inflection. Japanese is a tonal language, not inflectional, and all the syllables have the same length for sound production, and the pronunciation of doubled vowels (when using romaji) is different to English. I find using rhythm games & singing helps my students learn better inflection.

Vocal exercises (as used for singing and drama) can also help with articulation.

Cheers,
AB 

8 Jan 2015     

1    2    Next >