Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Use of the semi-colon    

Use of the semi-colon

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Use of the semi-colon

A literacy guru is intending to present a ppt on the use of the semicolon to all our students. He has spelled it like this �Semi Colon. � I have googled it and as far as I can see, it �s one word �semicolon � or �semi-colon. �  Also, these are two of his examples.
�At a picnic we went on, Sara carried the hamper; Dad carried the drinks; Mum carried the tablecloth; and I carried everything else! � 

�Jim �s favourite subject is Art; Jan �s is Maths with Miss Smith; and Lily �s is English. �

I think on the first one, a comma after tablecloth would read better, or even a full stop - or a comma and then �while I carried everything else. �  
On the second one, I think commas would do nicely and that this exercise will just confuse the students. Am I fussing over nothing?  

10 Jan 2015      

isa2
Austria

Hi Lynne,
You are absolutely right.
 In my opinion, semicolons are there to avoid confusion especially when there is no coordinating conjuction between two independent clauses. Coordinating conjunctions like and, but, or, nor, so, yet do not need a semicolon. For further clarification, here is a link that might interest you.
(BTW, I �ve never heard of a "Semi Colon".)
Enjoy your evening.

10 Jan 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Absolutely, Ingrid! Thank you for this. I will go and see this guru. He is my line manager, he he!!!

In case he �s reading this, my name is not Lynne .

10 Jan 2015     

yanogator
United States

I would replace all of those Semi Colons with commas, since there is no ambiguity.

Bruce

10 Jan 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

"In case he �s reading this, my name is not Lynne ;) "

FTFY 

11 Jan 2015