Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

fatma najoua
Tunisia

help

may / might difference between them
is might the past of may 
thanks

18 Jan 2015      

ironik
Australia

googling it might be a better idea and it would cost less time and effort surely.

18 Jan 2015     

Elizabeth79
Portugal

might is the past of may

18 Jan 2015     

Manuhk
Hong Kong

Some people insist that you should use may (present tense) when talking about a current situation and might (past tense) when talking about an event that happened in the past. For example:

may go home early if I’m tired. (present tense)

He might have visited Italy before settling in Nuremberg. (past tense)

In practice, this distinction is rarely made today and the two words are generally interchangable:

might go home early if I’m tired.

He may have visited Italy before settling in Paris.

But there is a distinction between may have and might have in certain contexts. If the truth of a situation is still not known at the time of speaking or writing, either of the two is acceptable:

By the time you read this, he may have made his decision.

I think that comment might have offended some people.

If the event or situation referred to did not in fact occur, it �s better to use might have:

The draw against Italy might have been a turning point, but it didn �t turn out like that.

18 Jan 2015     

Mar�lia Gomes
Portugal

Both express the idea that something is very possible. We use may if it is MORE PROBABLE that it will happen/take place and Might if it is LESS PROBABLE.
ex. It may be true VS It might be true. 

19 Jan 2015     

fatma najoua
Tunisia

thank you all for answering my question. You �re so helpful.

23 Jan 2015