Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Drill bits    

Drill bits

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Drill bits

Does anybody know any other meaning of this word which is not a tool?

One of my students writes in an essay "He has a lot of drill bits with his father". Taking the context into account, it must mean "quarrels" but I don �t find this meaning anywhere.
Can you help me?
Yolanda

19 Jan 2015      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It �s a slag meaning, I guess, btw Urban dictionary gives the use of "drillbit" as a "person who screws people over" 

19 Jan 2015     

sweeves
Japan

I have always called them drill bits and I use power tools often. Never knew they are called quarrels. A bit is a general word used for an attachment, usually a drill piece.

20 Jan 2015     

yanogator
United States

No, sweeves, I think you are confused. It seems that "drill bit" is a slang term for a disagreement of some sort. The piece that is put into a drill is a drill bit, but not a quarrel.

Bruce

20 Jan 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �ve never heard of �drill bit � either as a slang term for a disagreement or a tool. (I do know what a drill is although I haven �t used one). Furthermore, if anyone said it to me, I wouldn �t be able to guess. It sounds like something that might be suitable for a WOD.

20 Jan 2015     

Zora
Canada

I am going to take a bet that your student most likely went to an online dictionary, and he/she looked up the word "broca" instead of "bronca"! LOL

Broca - drillbit
Bronca - fight, quarrel

20 Jan 2015