Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > adult guys not eager to talk in the classroom    

adult guys not eager to talk in the classroom

[email protected]
Argentina

adult guys not eager to talk in the classroom

hi everybody, i seem to have a huge problem making my adult students talk and engage them in topics of any kind!!!! 

they are really tough and scared of making mistakes that they simply avoid talking,
do you have any suggestions for teaching material i could apply  ???
really appreciate

21 Jan 2015      

eliona-jc
Albania

Hello there!! Well I have the same problem with some of my students. Some of them are intimidated by making "mistakes " so they "d rather not try at all. It �s been a challenge for me as well and I have always wondered what to do ( and I still do) in order to help them overcome their insecurity and shyness and negative feelings.
In my view it �s not a matter of using the "right" teaching materials but rather of getting to know your students and being a living example yourself. I keep reminding them all the time to view mistakes as not sth bad altogether  but rather an integral part of the learning experience. What �s more, I talk to them a lot about enjoying where we are right now to where we �re going and that we should steer clear of perfectionism which is our thief. It steals our joy and peace and image that we should have about ourselves. While  I speak to them I have realised that I �m also ministering to myself and that my students will not pay so much attention to what  I say as to what I DO. So the answer to see your students advance and make noticeable progress lies within the teacher and his ability to manage and address the issues concerning them. Teaching ourselves and our class to have and foster the right mindset is crucial because "our perceptions about sth become our reality" and  I believe that is soooo true.
I hope I"ve been of some help. Greetings from beautiful Tirana :)

22 Jan 2015     

essam35
Egypt

choose appropriate topics be emotional 

use games & puzzles

divide them into groups 

choose appropriate reinforcement 

good luck

22 Jan 2015     

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

Hello there,
How about playing   Rhyming  Challenge game or Persuasion

Click here 
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/adults/rhymingchallenge.htm

http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/adults/persuasion.htm 

If you subscribe here 
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/esl-for-adults
 you can get more games for free. 

I hope this helps a bit,
E. 

22 Jan 2015     

FrauSue
France

Role plays often help people to talk as they are playing a character rather than having to voice (and be judged on) their own opinions.

22 Jan 2015     

papadeli
Greece

This site helps a lot!

Greetings from Greece,

22 Jan 2015