Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > language one dilemma...    

language one dilemma...

Mouna mch
Algeria

language one dilemma...

Dear teachers,

it seems that i �m using language one (which is Arabic in my case) mora than i should!
whenever i feel that my students are lost or are not following me anymore, i switch to language one...
i admit,  it makes things easier for me...
but i know that it is not ok...
any suggestions to help me avoid using language one in my classroom...

thanks in advance...

22 Jan 2015      

ammoura 23
Tunisia

hello, use pictures, gestures, drawings.....and if you notice that most of them didn �t get it, ask them: what do we call it in Arabic?or what do we say in Arabic?and there must be a pupil who got it and will help you by saying it! :) 
However, using English in teaching English is a must dear! Good luck! 

22 Jan 2015     

shvat
Israel

I know just what you mean.... It �s hard to talk when they don �t understand, and so easy to switch back. Thanks for the ideas.

22 Jan 2015     

papadeli
Greece

Pictures, illustrations, games really help. Try not to talk a lot, Just the necessary part. Skip the rest. Miming is a trick, too. Give us an example. What was the last thing you had to use L1? New words or grammar?

Greetings from Greece,

22 Jan 2015     

gscott1979
China

while actions and miming are great, at the very least you should use 90% english in your sentence structures. Talk to them as much as you can in English but use the occasional word in L1. I never do this, and don �t recommend it, but start with this and as the students get more comfortable use less and less L1.
Using L2 for them is a habit, find that once I �ve had a class for a few months there is 0 use of L1 in the class, but at the beginning there is quite a lot and I have to work hard to reduce it and get them used to my rules and habits.
Having said that, while I speak the local language well enough, it is not my native language and I know how hard it can be for you. 

23 Jan 2015     

Mouna mch
Algeria

Thank you all..

23 Jan 2015