Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Grammaticality    

Grammaticality

t.javanshir
Australia

Grammaticality

Dear colleagues,

There is a sentence which was a matter of active controversy yesterday in our teachers � room: 

1. I don �t know which genre of music is his favorite. 

2. I don �t know which genre of music his favorite is

Both of them seem to be correct. Which one is correct in your opinion? Could you explain? 

Thanks 

Toofan 

24 Jan 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �m English and they both sound fine. However, people generally use the second form. �I don �t know which genre of music his favourite is. �
I �m sorry, I can �t give you an explanation. 

25 Jan 2015     

mariaot
Spain

According to Swam, the correct order in this kind of sentences is Subject + Verb with all verbs:

I don �t know which music she likes
*I don �t know which music likes she

The verb TO BE is an exception. It allows both positions:
I don �t know where she is
I don �t know where is she 

25 Jan 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I hope we get some more explanations and examples. �I don �t know where is she � is not right. 

25 Jan 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Both sentences seem fine. Nevertheless, if I had to think of a grammar rule which favours the second option I would say that it is not normal for the verb "be" to stand before a subject unless it is in the interrogative form. As the sentece is not a question, the inverted word order ("is his favourite") might not be in compliance with srtict grammar dogmas. Anyway, it does not mean that such a form is not used as Cunliffe has kindly confirmed.

25 Jan 2015     

mannouta
Tunisia

The second answer is the correct one for it �s an indirect question 

25 Jan 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Lynne that "I don �t know where is she" is not right *unless you punctuate it as "I don �t know. Where is she?", and to me "I don �t know which genre of music his favorite is" does not sound like a question.

This is my take: 

word order for emphasis
1. I don �t know which genre of music is his favorite. Normal statement of fact.
2. I don �t know which genre of music his favorite is, (but I know he likes jazz because I was with him when he bought tickets to a jazz concert). If you wish to emphasize the word �favorite � then you can use the unnatural sounding word order placing the verb �is � at the end of the clause, but it needs further clarification of why you are emphasizing the word �favorite �. Standing alone the clause sounds incomplete or wrong, in my opinion.

--Mary

25 Jan 2015     

t.javanshir
Australia

Thank you everyone for your kind contributions.
In fact, I took the sentence from "Summit" books (TOP NOTCH SERIES), and the teacher �s guide says: 

I don �t know which genre of music is his favorite. 

Maybe, because "which genre of music" is the subject here.

Still looking for some more explanation since Cunliffe believes both are right.

26 Jan 2015