Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The difference between "agree with ..." and "agree to... ´    

The difference between "agree with ..." and "agree to... ´

niksailor
Russian Federation

The difference between "agree with ..." and "agree to... ´

Dear fellow teachers!

Could you outline the difference between "agree with ... " and "agree to ...". Can I say "agree with smth." or only "agree with smb". Is "agree to..." used with a person or a thing following this verb? Thank you for your help :) 

28 Jan 2015      

niksailor
Russian Federation

Also, can tge verb "agree..." be used with the preposition "on" after it? In which cases?

28 Jan 2015     

afoufa09
Tunisia

Hi niksailor, 
* about your question let ´s start with "agree with smb" and "agree with smth" I think both are correct.
look at these 2 examples: (from oxford dictionary)
1) I agree with her about the need for a change.
2) I agree with her analysis of the situation.
here in both examples you share the same opinion as her.
agree to : means to accept
expl: I agree to go with you and visit her.
and about "agree on" it ´s correct too as in this example from Cambridge dictionary
- They have finally agreed on a name for their new dog.
hope it ´s clear for you. 

28 Jan 2015     

yanogator
United States

Good answer.

Bruce

28 Jan 2015     

niksailor
Russian Federation

Also, can tge verb "agree..." be used with the preposition "on" after it? In which cases?

28 Jan 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

the options are:
* agree with + object (smb or smth)
* agree + infinitive (agree to do smth)
* agree on some terms.

28 Jan 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Here ´s a quick example: He agreed with us on the terms to implement the plan.

28 Jan 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Agree with is showing accordance - you approve of something and you acknowledge that insofar as you are concerned, it is right. It ´s usually about an opinion or a course of action.
Agree to implies some form of contemplated action. For me, this isn ´t as whole-hearted as agree with.   ´I agree with you! ´ ´I agree with his having to sit at the back. ´ No hesitation; whole-hearted approval.
´I agree to letting him sit at the back. ´ Not quite as supportive.  

There ´s just a nuance there...

28 Jan 2015     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Lynne about "agree to". It shows some degree of compromise, or absence of total willingness.

Gi2gi ´s example of "agree + infinitive" is a different form of "agree to". It indicates making a commitment to do an action.
  I agreed to play my accordion for the party.
  He won ´t agree to stop insulting her.

Bruce

28 Jan 2015     

Zora
Canada

You can definitely use "agree with" an object, but it must be a set of rules or a law or something like that. 

I agree with the new Drunk Driving law.

I agree with the government ´s new Charter of Rights.

She agrees with the new rules.

28 Jan 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

Canadian English must be different, Zora, because I agree with the other posters here and I respectfully disagree with you. You can agree with laws, rules, and policies, and you can agree to follow them, but those are not the only things that can be agreed with, at least not in American English. Can we agree on that?

28 Jan 2015     

1    2    Next >