Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your help     

I need your help

salwamel
Tunisia

I need your help

hello dear collegues 
which is correct in these two senntences:
         on the table there is rice, salad, fish and chips and some fruit.
or      on the table there are rice, salad, fish and chips and some fruit.   

6 Feb 2015      

you_per7
Algeria

I guess the second one is correct.

6 Feb 2015     

1lh4n
Turkey

First one is correct. Because rice is an uncountable noun. So, you should you use is for uncountable nouns. But, even if it were a countable noun, you would use "is" as in the example;

There is a boy and two girls in the garden.

There are two girls and a boy in the garden. 

You should focus on the object coming after "There is/are".

6 Feb 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

1. I would say the first one is correct because we ask What is on the table? [There is] rice, salad, fish and chips, and some fruit. Edit: I noticed that when I tried to describe the objects on my desk to answer the question, "What is on the desk", I began saying "There is" and I named singular objects. But if I deliberately focused on a plural object (such as the speakers) first, then I noticed that I had to Change it to "There are speakers, a pencil, etc.

3. 1lh4n hit the nail on the head, in my opinion. Good explanation!

Edit:

To 2. "Sentences beginning with "there are" and "there is" are using a different kind of sentence structure called an expletive construction...

It�s a compound subject since it has two nouns connected by the word "and," which makes it plural, but it�s still a subject; and it�s always the subject of a sentence that drives your verb choice, even if the subject isn�t at the beginning of the sentence.

Now that you know the subject is "a couch and a coffee table" and that it�s plural, it�s easy to choose the right verb: "are." Plural subject take plural verbs. (The subjects are underlined in the following examples.)

- See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/oddness-when-you-start-a-sentence-with-there-is#sthash.KLU6K8q2.dpuf"

6 Feb 2015     

ebrahmi
Tunisia

1lh4n is definitely right. 

7 Feb 2015     

you_per7
Algeria

I thought that it is correct to say

there is rice or there is salad.
but if you mention more than one thing, It would be better to say
There are rice, salad,....

7 Feb 2015