Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Natives and non- natives pitch in!!!    

Natives and non- natives pitch in!!!

eliona-jc
Albania

Natives and non- natives pitch in!!!

Dear friends and colleagues,

I have been wondering for quite some time now if there is an adjective for a person who:
pays his/her bills on time, pays his/her course fees on time, if he/her owes money, they pay it back on time as they promised. In a business deal or any other kind of agreement between the parts, he/she does its part and is responsible.
In my language I have such a word and  responsible is too vague. I.m talking about sth more specific and to the point.
Your help or ideas are much appreciated and thank you in advance. Yours thankfully eliona :)

13 Feb 2015      

strngnbtful
United States

Hey Eliona,

The only words that come to mind are reliable, dependable, and trustworthy. I don �t think we have an adjective that refers directly to monetary situations.  

If I were to describe someone to my friend in the situations you�ve described above, I would say, "She is very reliable, I have no problem lending her some cash." Or "My tenant is very reliable, I know I will be paid on time." 

Not every language has direct translations unfortunately, but context clues and phrasing often help to narrow down the meaning. :)

Best of luck. 

13 Feb 2015     

roxybc
United States

I would add an adverb, such as "fiscally" to the adjective "responsible" to relay that particular meaning

13 Feb 2015     

yanogator
United States

I immediately thought of the same words as strngnbtfl - reliable, dependable, trustworthy. I think they are what you want.

Bruce

13 Feb 2015     

eliona-jc
Albania

Thank you very much for your feedback. The problem is that I know dependable, reliable and trustworthy and actually they refer to character traits and mean that you can count on sb. You expect him to do what they �re asked to do and the like. But how would you describe a student eg who doesn �t pay his fees on time or so who doesn �t tend to his affairs? He/She eg complies with and keeps the rules such as paying the electricity bill or other household bills. I � m sorry if I sound like a stickler but I am bitten by the language bug and I love English. It �s a sublime language :))

13 Feb 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi eliona, I agree with the others: there isn �t really a set term. A few phrases that come to mind for people like my husband: he honours his debts; his word is his bond; he �s good with money. And for the likes of me: she is likely to default; she is a backslider (although this isn �t just for matters concerning money); she is terrible with money.  

13 Feb 2015     

eliona-jc
Albania

Much indebted to you,  Cunliffe, Bruce, Roxybc  and strngnbtful for your comments and feedback. To shed some light into the matter the word we use in Albanian is sth equivalent of "correct" and "accurate" and I do feel limited when I want to use this word about someone who is at the same time punctual, in his affairs "right" in everything including money matters.
 I really liked the expressions cunliffe. I hadn �t heard some of them before.

13 Feb 2015     

yanogator
United States

I would use "responsible" and "irresponsible".

Bruce 

13 Feb 2015