Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can you ride a plane?    

Can you ride a plane?

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Can you ride a plane?

That �s my question. I would say fly a plane but one of my students wrote it and I am not sure whether you can say that in English or not.

Thanks in advance
Yolanda

1 Mar 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Fly a plane, or pilot a plane. That �s you in the driving seat. Fly on a plane or travel by plane, go by plane, that �s you as a passenger. I asked my son, �What �s it called if you get strapped onto the wings? � I �ve always fancied that. Anyway, that �s �wing walking. �

1 Mar 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

You might want to ask one of our American colleagues about this one. I �m pretty sure I �ve heard something like "I rode the bus to Springfield," or something similar. So, given that context perhaps it might be possible. From a Brit perspective I agree with Lynne although I would add "ride on a plane," too. 

1 Mar 2015     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Thanks for answering so fast. Sometimes I find it impossible to check things like this anywhere.

Yolanda

1 Mar 2015     

jeterinmicipen
Spain

fly a plane

1 Mar 2015     

jeterinmicipen
Spain

fly a plane

1 Mar 2015     

jeterinmicipen
Spain

fly a plane

1 Mar 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I would say you can fly by plane, as Lynne said.

Riding on a plane would mean to me that you are sitting on top of the plane (outside of it on the "roof"). 

1 Mar 2015     

alien boy
Japan

Here �s a pretty good breakdown of �ride � and its many meanings & usages.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/ride 

To me �fly a plane � means you are the pilot or you are controlling a model/toy airplane.
You could use pilot (as a verb), but that would seem fairly old fashioned to me. A pilot flies the plane. I haven �t often heard �pilot a plane �. Mind you, �pilot a ship � is a phrase I have heard!

As a passenger you could �travel on/in a plane �,   �fly in /on a plane �, �go on/in a plane �, or use �by plane/air �.

2 Mar 2015     

Zora
Canada

You could say, "They went for a ride in the plane." ...

This would probably be used only when you are going for a short flight up in a little propeller type plane though. When I was 5 or so, the kids in my kindergarten went up for a short ride in a crop duster!!! True story! :)

2 Mar 2015