Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Gloss over    

Gloss over

spinney
United Kingdom

Gloss over

Hey people!
I �m doing a new phrasal verb exercise and was wondering if there was an easier way to define gloss over?  What I have at the moment is disguise a mistake or deceive. Hush up and whitewash would just require more explanation. I �m trying to keep it simple for the snap card game that will be part of the exercise. While I �m at it, does anybody have a better defintion for come over than my current one of appear (communicate) and bend over which I have as bow down? Also is there a better defintion for fall over than topple or tumble? I �ve googled it all but I can �t seem to find anything satisfactory. Confused

3 Mar 2015      

Mariethe House
France

I looked up the expressions in the Thesaurus  and this is what I could find :

gloss over: distort / mislead / falsify

come over:       pop in / stop by / stop in 

fall over: loose balance

Here �s the link. I find it  really useful. hope it helps.Smile

http://www.thesaurus.com

3 Mar 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

It did, Marie. Distort truth is much more succinct as is loose balance. Thanks!Thumbs Up

3 Mar 2015     

FrauSue
France

For "come over", do you mean in the sense of "visit" (He came over for a coffee) or in the sense of "give an impression" (He came over as a bit nervous during the speech)?

For "fall over" please note that the correct spelling is LOSE balance (not "loose"). You could also define it as "lose balance and land on the ground" to be specific.

3 Mar 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

Well, FrauSue, you �re not wrong. Lose balance it is. I can �t make it any longer as it has to fit on a snap card. However, give an impression is the sense in which I intend to define come over. Perhaps "impress as" would do it. Thanks! Clap

3 Mar 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Spinney

My 2 cents worth:

come over - look e.g. He comes over as confident - he seems/looks/appears confident

bend over - lean down

fall over - stumble, trip over

Cheers

Jayho

3 Mar 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

how about "dress up" for gloss over or "stretch the truth" or "cover up" (well, all not exactly the same...)
come over? how about "come across as"

3 Mar 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Gloss over - dismiss/ brush aside
Come over - come across/seem/give the impression...
Fall over -  collapse/drop to the floor.

Mmm - not that easy! 

3 Mar 2015