Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > probably some realia that I don īt know    

probably some realia that I don īt know

theone72
Russian Federation

probably some realia that I don īt know

There īs a line in the lyrics of Kerli īs song "Welcome to the tea party". The line is  Got my elbows down, pinkies up. Elbows down is OK with me, but why pinkies up? Is it a set phrase?

Another line that I can īt make out is  Let īs be traditional And non commissional

What does non commissional mean?

5 Mar 2015      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Pinkies  are your littlest fingers. Pinkies up may refer to the  custom of drinking tea holding your little finger up, which was considered elegant traditionally.

I am not sure about non commissional. I would have to guess. (It is not listed in the urban dictionary).

A commission is the money that a sales clerk earns on a sale. so, non commisional would be selling without a sales commission.
A non commisioned officer is a leader/person with authority over others in the armed forces. So, non commissional could mean be traditional and act with authority? but I am not familiar with military terms, so I would ask anyone with experience to make suggestions.

After listening to the song, I would guess that non commissional means not committed, not in a commited relationship, but just casual.

5 Mar 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Agree with Mary,

5 Mar 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I īm sure, theone 72, you īve heard "пальцы веером" well they only do that with a pinkie (мизинец) :)

P.S. never heard the song before so checked the lyrics, itīs really sensual.

5 Mar 2015     

Jayho
Australia

I agree with Sophia.  This songīs real meaning is hidden behind a traditional tea party theme and the non-commissional refers to non-commitment.  Look closely at the words for the clues. Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Jayho

5 Mar 2015     

alien boy
Japan

Interesting. Without readinng the entire song I couldn īt really accurately guess the meaning of īnon commissional �.�

However, here are霡our賷efinitions of commission which may be appropriate. Commissional is an adjectival form of commission.

1. an authorisation or command to act in a prescribed manner or to perform specific acts;
  2. an act of committing something (especially crimes, in a legal sense);
  3. a fee to an employee or agent for a transaction;
  4. an act of entrusting or giving authority.

I īll add more thought after class, sorry!

>

Edit: Iīve now read the lyrics... depending on how you want to interpret them it could take on several meaning, to me, & probably different ones for other people. The lyricist is obviously writing about a relationship, so īnon commissional�, which I suppose just means the opposite of commissional, may be a description of a relationship that is not officially prescribed; without payment owing due to committing to the relationship; or, an uncommitted relationship (in a formal sense). Thatīs just a quick, shallow, thought to add a few ideas to the discussion.

Cheers,鼦B�

5 Mar 2015