Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How I met your mother scene    

How I met your mother scene

mari_18cf
Brazil

How I met your mother scene

I didnt get the cornice joke, could somebody help me??

Marshall: Well, all skyscrapers kinda look like a...

Ted: Marshall, it �s a seventy-eight story pink marble tower with a rounded top and two spherical entryways at the front.

Marshall: Wow, so it �s the whole package.

Barney: Yeah, you did.

[fist-bumps Marshall]

Marshall: Had to.

Barney: Oh, dude, if they �re selling condos you gotta get me in. And don �t give me the shaft.

Marshall: Yeah, you did.

Barney: Had to.

[they fist-bump again]

Ted: It �s a travesty! It �s gonna define the skyline of the city. If it was me, I could have designed something amazing. Instead, I �m spending twelve hours a day designing the cornices.

Marshall: Yeah, you did.

[holds out his fist for a bump]

Ted: That wasn �t one.

6 Mar 2015      

melissab
Argentina

In my opinion that �s the point. The cornices weren �t a joke. Marshall thought they were. That is the funny part, he misinterpreted Ted �s meaning in that part of the conversation.

6 Mar 2015     

yanogator
United States

I agree with melissab that it wasn �t a joke, which is why Ted said, "That wasn �t one".

Bruce 

6 Mar 2015     

MarionG
Netherlands

OK, to be explicit: They are joking about the fact that the building resembles a penis (tall, rounded at the top with two spheres at the bottom).
A cornice is a ridge, so Marshall thought Ted was continuing the penis jokes, but Ted was complaining that he really was stuck designing ridges (such as found above windows - not those on penises or condoms)

I am sooo happy I teach primary school ...... 

7 Mar 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh, Marion! I didn �t understand a word of all that! I must be getting old!
Lynne 

7 Mar 2015     

zoemorosini
United States

A cornice is a decorative edge around the top of a room where the walls meet the ceiling inside, or on the outside of a building where there�s an edge between the walls and the roof.  Technically, you could use this as yet another euphemism for a part of the structure of a penis (what the whole provided text excerpt is about), however Ted �s not joking in that he has to work on that part of the design.

Zoe 

7 Mar 2015     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Thank you very much guys :) You �re awesome!

1 May 2015