Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Written compositions    

Written compositions

AL3NA
Mexico

Written compositions

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a doubt I have. I’ve been studying to take the CAE exam and I came across these two connectors: “As well as that” and “What’s more”

The first one, well honestly I’ve never heard of it and the second one I know what it means and how to use it. My question is: Are they used in formal or informal writing?

And can someone give me an example using “As well as that”?

6 Mar 2015      

yanogator
United States

I don �t think "as well as that" is a correct connector. It is, obviously, a correct phrase, as in "I don �t like this cake as well as that one", but I �m sure that �s clear to you.

Yes, "what �s more" can definitely be used in formal writing.

Bruce 

6 Mar 2015     

Tere-arg
Argentina

As well as this/that

"This is very similar to besides/besides this/besides that . It is usually placed at the beginning of a sentence. It is used to make an additional point.

My boss is the only other person who sells the watches. As well as that, he might blame me.

We went to the park today. As well as that, we did some shopping."

Source

What�s more  is used in formal writing.
I cannot tell about as well as that for sure as had never seen it used before.

6 Mar 2015     

Apodo
Australia

Sounds perfectly ok to me.  :-)   = in addition to the thing already mentioned.  I wouldn �t use �as well as that � at the beginning of a sentence.

We had a great day out. We went shopping and as well as that we had time to go to the museum.

He �s such a pig! He ate 3 donuts and as well as that he had an icecream. 

as well as that - informal (and I just noticed I use it with and)
what�s more - formal

6 Mar 2015     

yanogator
United States

I guess it �s another BE/AmE thing.

�
Bruce�

�

6 Mar 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Brilliant, Apodo! Let me see if I understand the construction. Please correct me if I misunderstood.
�
We had a great day out. We went shopping and as well as that we had time to go to the museum. (That is replacing or referring to the aforementioned shopping)
�
He �s such a pig! He ate 3 donuts and as well as that he had an icecream.�(That is referring to the 3 donuts).
�
I liked this construction so much that I tried to find some further examples.

1. Find the average of all the odd natural numbers, and as well as that, all the even numbers less than 20. (That refers to the previously assigned task).

2. The Hacienda was the administrative center of the large sugarcane mill called Central Mercedita as well as that of its cane sugar refinery plant which packaged the Snow White brand sugar at its nearby packaging plant. (That is replacing center, so we don �t have to repeat the word center.)

3. In the 1855 Kansas newspaper the headline read, "Advocate the Freedom of White Men, As Well As That of Negroes.� (That is replacing freedom)

It sounds to me like the construction "In addition to that"
�
--Mary

6 Mar 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Actually, I use as well as that frequently in everyday conversation.  It is the same as on top of that.

I generally use it the same way as in the example of Tere-arg�s link (BBC Learning English).

There is a reference to it in Swan�s Practical English Usage - 157.11.

I would never use it in writing.

Cheers

Jayho

6 Mar 2015     

kwsp
United States

In this part of the US I have used it and heard it used. I often see it used in the media.

Here is a quote from a review on tripadvisor on the Internet: 
If you only pay a cheap price, you can hardly expect the Ritz, but the room was clean, comfortable and had good air-con...what more can you ask? As well as that, the room had been recently painted so it is clear they are committed to the upkeep of their hotel.

Here is a quote by author Frank Gaffney on BrainyQuote:  

But I really believe it is in America �s interest as well as that of the free world more generally to stop Iran from getting its hands on nuclear weapons. This regime has threatened to wipe Israel off the map and bring about a world without America, and either of those is a really bad prospect. 

7 Mar 2015     

AL3NA
Mexico

Thank you all for your wonderful explanations.

They really helped a lot. Have a great weekend everyone.

7 Mar 2015