Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > British and American word stress pairs    

British and American word stress pairs

spinney
United Kingdom

British and American word stress pairs

Hi people!
I �ve been meaning to do something on this for a while now but there isn �t much about it in the books or on the internet.
There is a load of stuff on word stress for single words but nothing for word pairs. I can only think of a couple of things at the moment but I know there are more. Does anybody want to contribute? All I have at the moment are the following:

Brit English: apple sauce          American English: apple sauce 
Brit English: Rock and roll         American English: rock and roll

I know that there are some Americans that stress in the same place as the Brits for one reason or another but what about the Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, the Irish etc? 

8 Mar 2015      

Jayho
Australia

I wish I could help you Spinney but I have little idea about American pronunciation and I didn�t even think about word stress differences until now.  A most noticeable difference, between Australian and American English in general, is the (r) at the end of words, which we Aussies often change to the schwa.  But I will be more mindful of word stress differences from now on. 

Here in the land down under we use British pronunciation though we understand American pronunciation and vocabulary. New Zealand English is the same, and generally indistinguishable from Australian English.

I guess, to begin with,  you need advice from someone who is highly familiar with two country�s pronunciation patterns, or a good book.

Cheers

Jayho

8 Mar 2015     

alien boy
Japan

Maybe you should investigate some theatre training texts & blogs, like this one (just to get the ball rolling): http://www.thedramateacher.com/accents-in-drama/

Cheers, AB�

An actor & drama teacher I knew used to have this book, which is apparently a classic for teaching accents, which included an excellent double CD - Accents: A Manual For Actors by Robert Blumenfeld.

8 Mar 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thanks for your help people. I �ll give the drama thing a go. Looks like it could bear fruit.

9 Mar 2015     

yanogator
United States

In Ohio, at least, we say rock and roll. I don �t think I �ve ever heard rock and roll.

Also, it can be regional. Here in Ohio we say potato salad, but I frequently hear people on television say potato salad

Bruce 

9 Mar 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thanks Bruce! I think I can do that for many food pairs. As for rock and roll, I know people from Florida that say it like Ohio (and the UK). I think the rock and roll thing tends to happen in moments of enthusiasm from muscians or something.
Cheers 
Dale

9 Mar 2015