Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > pronunciation    

pronunciation

slavchik
Russian Federation

pronunciation

hello. I have heard sometimes they say beautiful so _  biuriful. r insread of t. when do they say this?

9 Mar 2015      

faby.ong
Brazil

American accent usually is biuriful... i think it �s this, cause British, new Zealander pronounce biutiful..hehh

9 Mar 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

You are probably referring to the American pronunciation of �beautiful � using the kind of sound that is made in the word party. The �t� sounds like a �d � as in pardy, beaudiful--not as a normal �r� as in �run � or �t�. 

9 Mar 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

In Norfolk and parts of Cambridgeshire and Suffolk, UK, it �s pronounced bootiful. Some people don �t even pronounce the "t." I know I don �t, well, outside the classroom anyway. Big smile

9 Mar 2015     

yanogator
United States

I agree with red. I don �t think anyone in the US pronounces it with an "r" sound, but most of us use a "d" sound, as red said.

Bruce 

9 Mar 2015     

anuska8
Spain

Take a look to the web FORVO where people around the word pronounce words. R is used in America, in movies or songs is always in that way.

9 Mar 2015     

yanogator
United States

Actually, anuska8, I think we �re just talking about two different ways of indicating the same sound. I �m sure the R sound you �re talking about is the Spanish trilled R, which is very similar (if sounded very shortly) to the American D (which is harder than the Spanish D).

Bruce

9 Mar 2015     

alien boy
Japan

This site has a simple, clear description and examples of the �flap t �, which is the topic of this discussion thread. It also mentions the apparent �r � sound in Spanish and Polish, too.

Cheers,

AB 

9 Mar 2015     

anuska8
Spain

Yanogator, the "r" in Spanish can be hard or soft deppending on the word. In fact, the hard r does not exist in English speaking countries (the double r, for instance in "perro" = dog). On the other hand, if you are American I am sure you are right according to "D" sound, although most of us hear a "R" (maybe taking into account our mother tongue). 

Cheers!

10 Mar 2015     

anuska8
Spain

Another question, why this post is reported as spam? It �s nonsense!

Hugs!

10 Mar 2015     

karagozian
France

There is no smoke without fire !

10 Mar 2015     

1    2    Next >