Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Articles...again.    

Articles...again.

Makigi
Croatia

Articles...again.

My class book says:
 They live on a farm. They feed the animals, they milk the cows, they collect eggs, they ride horses. (why not: they ride THE horses?) 
Christmas in Australia is in the summer. (Why THE summer?)

and then, there is a matching task
1. milk                               eggs
2. feed                              the cows
3. collect                           animals (but no THE)

...help...(sigh)

13 Mar 2015      

yanogator
United States

Since it is talking about the horses on their farm, it definitely needs "the". Also, they collect the eggs, since they are the specific eggs from their chickens. Without "the", it is just talking in general about what people do on a farm (as compared to this particular farm). People on a farm milk cows, collect eggs and ride horses. On this farm, the people milk the cows, collect the eggs and ride the horses. The book is inconsistent.

Bruced 

13 Mar 2015     

Apodo
Australia

Christmas is in the summer is used because it talks about a particular season chosen from all other seasons, but it wouldn �t be wrong to leave out �the �. I would use the, but others may not.

For the matching task it would be best to have the animals.

It is possible to say- I had to sweep floors, make beds and feed animals. - but this is talking in a general way- the animals is better - since they are the particular animals on the farm we are speaking about.

I think the author of the book has been careless and inconsistent. (just to confuse you LOL) 

13 Mar 2015     

Makigi
Croatia

Bruce, I will definitely use THE because this text is about one family and tells us what they do on their farm.
And the summer part, I will also explain to my students just the way you did, Apodo.
Thank you both so much
I would be lost without you :)) 

14 Mar 2015