Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Elementary and/or beginner    

Elementary and/or beginner

crissorrir
Brazil

Elementary and/or beginner

Hello everyone!

I´ve been teaching private classes for long, but my students are usually intermediate or English for trips. But now I have the chance to teach someone who is a beginner (adult). But the book I love to use (New American Inside Out) has the Beginner and the Elementary levels, What is the difference between them? Which one should I use? (I never had the chance to see the contents of each one).

Thank you very much, in advance!
Cris 

23 Mar 2015      

ohermann
Czech Republic

Maybe this can help you a bit:

23 Mar 2015     

joannajs
Poland

Hi Cris,

Beginner is meant for people who had never any experience learning English. So it starts with total basics and progresses pretty slowly (though Inside Out are quite ambitious ;-). Elementary level presumes that students are FALSE BEGINNERS which means they were studying English before. So it moves quicker with the material, too.
When deciding which coursebook to adopt, think of your students - if they are working adults or older people, sometimes they don �t have that much time (1st group) or they simply acquire knowledge more slowly (2nd) and may have problems following the Elementary coursebook. My experience teaching from New Inside Out was such that the Elementary one should ONLY be used with false beginners, true ones get lost easily and some of them drop out because of the fast pace.
Perhaps a solution to this would be to conduct 2-3 classes using xeroxed copies of the book you think is suitable and then decide finally which book to adopt.

Hope that helps - overall it �s a fun book to use with many extra resources and a dvd :-) 

23 Mar 2015     

crissorrir
Brazil

Thank you very much Ohermenn and Joanna, both answers were/are very useful!

Hugs

Cris 

24 Mar 2015