Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Only Present tenses are possible in these sentences?    

Only Present tenses are possible in these sentences?

kohai
Latvia

Only Present tenses are possible in these sentences?

Dear colleagues,
I have learned so much by your answers to other posts but now I also need to ask you for help.

The students had to fill in these sentences with correct forms of the verbs:
It...(be) a fine morning today. The birds...(sing) in the trees, and there...(be)not a cloud in the sky. 
Some students wrote in Present:
It is a fine morning today. The birds are singing in the trees, and there is not a cloud in the sky.
Some students wrote in Past:
It was a fine morning today. The birds were singing in the trees, and there was not a cloud in the sky.

These 3 sentences weren �t connected with any other context. It was a serious English language competition for the best students from different schools who have studied English for 6 years... The students who gave answers in Past tenses lost their points and we teachers were told that we must teach the signal words better (here: �today � for Present tenses)...

Everybody, if you have read this post, could you give your opinion, please? I �m really lost. Till now I thought it�s possible to speak in the evening about  today �s morning that was fine.

Thank you in advance,
Ruta 

29 Mar 2015      

PhilipR
Thailand

It �s a sunny day today. 

I �ve done a lot of work today. 

What did you do today? I washed the car and cleaned the house. 

I think I �ll get a haircut today. 

I �m going to play golf today. 

Please don �t come and tell me the word today can only be used with a present tense. IMO without context it is difficult to know what tense to use. In your example, past tense can be used if it was said in the afternoon or evening of that day.

As I�ve said before, exam questions should be totally unambiguous and only have one clear and correct answer. Your questions don�t seem to fit that description.

29 Mar 2015     

englishteach8
Spain

I always tell my students to check for context before doing an exercise because the examiners / teachers /authors of the book are looking for a concrete answer to their questions.

The example with the present tenses is right, the example with the past tenses is right in "real life" where there is a context, for example, someone meeting a friend later in the day and telling him or her about his or her morning, but in an exercise in a book or an exam if no further context is given they have to choose the answers that do not need further explanation. Whenever we find one of these cases I always tell my students to take that into account because their answers could be marked as wrong.

I agree with Philip, exam questions should be totally unambiguous and only have one clear and correct answer, but that �s not always the case, that �s the reason why I tell my students that if they need further context to make their answer right, it could be considered wrong. It �s a small trick that has worked so far.

I hope that helps.

29 Mar 2015     

pilarnavarro
Spain

Examiners are quite strict.
If you find a time word such as "today", you are supposed to use present tenses since that �s what they expecto you to use.
We know that in real life, we are opened to other choices though.  I agree with Pilar that questions should be clear and unambiguous. Sadly, it �s not often the case.

29 Mar 2015     

hoami0321
Vietnam

Thank all of you for both question and answers. They �re really helpful for me :)

29 Mar 2015     

kohai
Latvia

Dear Phillip,  Pilar and Pilarnavarro,

I am really thankful to you for your support and wise advice. It �s really very helpful because I haven �t ever thought that we have to prepare students not only for using English in real life but also for such exams where only one answer of two or more is correct and the student must predict, guess or calculate which one. But I promise to be wiser in future, (Yeah, I like your advice about your small trick, Pilar.)
All your posts were extremly helpful (hoami0321, yours too!) because now I �m ready to meet my students on Monday and explain them why they lost the points for �It was a fine morning today �... And I will also tell them about you, so generous and helpful people all over the world, especially in Thailand and Spain!:))

29 Mar 2015