Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > English language proficiency    

English language proficiency

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

English language proficiency

Dear colleagues,

I - as her English teacher- was asked by my ex-student to write a kind of a recommendation, or better, a letter about her English competence and skills so that she will apply for a job of an interpreter. I am struggling because I don �t know how to do it. I can �t find any samples on the internet, probably because I don �t really know what to look for. Is this a letter of recommendation? What about the layout and what should my letter include?

I would be grateful for any help.

3 Apr 2015      

maryse pey�
France

I was asked once to write a letter of recommandation and what is important is the sincerity of your writing. I was told by natives that the tone of the letter is as important as the details.
So let your heart speak and give the qualities you think your student has and what she is actually able to do. Talk about her dedication, her good will, her... Be honest.
Of course you must add some formal expressions like "dear Sirs" or the last polite formulas but be sincere. That will be of a great help to your student. Once a Londoner told me "What is important for us is the PERSONAL thought and behavior !".
Hope this may help.
Maryse.

3 Apr 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Yes, your letter should have the format of the letter of recommendation.
There are lots of sites where you can find tips and examples. Here �s one of such sites:
You might also consider quoting some proof/evidence of her level of English (like the scores of standardised tests) and mentioning participation in a translation oriented specialty course or some international project where she acted as an interepreter, etc. 

3 Apr 2015