Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > which one?    

which one?

ngthsang
Vietnam

which one?

please help me with this sentence

*This is the photo of the hero.................our teacher talked about in the lecture.
    A.who     B.whom     C.which     D.where

7 Apr 2015      

isa2
Austria

A. who (because the relative clause refers to the teacher talking about the hero; he was not talking about the photo)

7 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Agree with isa. A while ago, it would have been �whom � but that has gone out of the language (more or less...)

7 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

There are still plenty of English teachers who would say that it is "whom", but Isa and Lynn are correct that it is "who".

Bruce 

7 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I secretly regret the loss of �whom �. It allowed you to show you were educated. Now, if you use it, people look at you as if you were from outer space.

7 Apr 2015     

ngthsang
Vietnam

Many thanks to Bruce isa2 and cunliffe. I know it, but i cannot use who because the textbooks in VN have still used such a whom.

7 Apr 2015     

valodra
France

This is the photo of the hero.................our teacher talked about in the lecture.
    A.who     B.whom     C.which     D.where

I would have said : � This is the photo of the hero our teacher talked about in the lecture � :-S

I would not use whom, but I wouldn �t use who either....Am I wrong ???

Thank you for enlightening me! ;-)) ( & thank you for the question, dear colleague !)

Val

7 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

Yes, valodra, your version is also correct, and even more common, but that was not one of the options given.

Bruce

7 Apr 2015     

valodra
France

Thank you so much , Bruce.

Actually, I even tell my students that who - in this case - is wrong. ie = Who is always a subject :

This is a photo of the hero who saved so many people ( who : subject. )
This is a photo of the hero . Our teacher talked about this hero ( relative pronoun not a subject here, "who" is impossible...) I once learnt "whom" had been replaced by....no relative pronoun ( when not a subject...) Hope I �m clear ;-))
Have a nice day/ evening
Val 

7 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

Well, Val, in current usage, what you are teaching isn �t correct, but it does simplify the matter. However, it doesn �t work after a comma.

For example:

You might remember John, whom you taught five years ago.  Today �s speakers would say "You might remember John, who you taught five years ago.", but it can �t be said without a pronoun.

Bruce 

7 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ngthsang �whom � is indeed, technically correct and to be fair, I do hear it from time to time. Someone on the news used it only yesterday. However, most people don �t use it and certainly, nobody under, say, forty, would use it, unless they wanted to make a statement about themselves. I wonder what dear almaz would have to say about it...

7 Apr 2015     

1    2    Next >