Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I have a question about a very useful expression..    

I have a question about a very useful expression..

binhobear
Brazil

I have a question about a very useful expression..

Here in Brazil we say a lot of this like, translating literally: closing a contract, not about a closure but relating to something good.  Would you guys help me out to put this into english keeping the same meaning, like something that you �ll do a good deal.  I googled it and all I found was "cut a deal" and "close a deal".... Would you mind helping me out please????

Thanks in advance... 

8 Apr 2015      

yanogator
United States

Of course, what you �re finding is literal expressions. Please give us an entire sentence (translated into English, of course) that uses the phrase, so we �ll have a context to use. We �ll be able to help you better then.

Bruce 

8 Apr 2015     

Mariethe House
France

We �ve landed a contract. We �ve won a contract. We have come to an agreement . ....

9 Apr 2015     

douglas
United States

I �m guessing you could use "closed the deal" to express being successful in something (e.g. with a girl) --but that �s the closest I can come-up with using the little amount of info you �ve provided.

Cheers,
Douglas

9 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

What about �pull it off �. If you set out out to do something and manage with some success, that �s what we say, �I pulled it off. � 

9 Apr 2015     

douglas
United States

I agree, "pull it off" could be what you �re looking for.

9 Apr 2015     

Mariethe House
France

What �s wrong with "we won " the contract?

9 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Mariethe, if you are talking about a contract, �we won it �, or �we got it, � is fine. In a more general sense, not necessarily a legal contract, �we came through �, �we came out on top �, �we got/struck a great deal, � �we came up trumps �; this kind of phrase might be better. Bruce is right that the context would help.  

9 Apr 2015     

Mariethe House
France

wey aye,!!Lynne!LOL
Just feeling silly!
Actually it�d be nice if you taught us a little bit of geordie Wink I love it!

9 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Why, ha �way man, Mariethe, yer a canny lass! Eh bien, ma ch�re, tu es une fille sympa! (or something like that)....;)

9 Apr 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I think that "neg�cio fechado", if that is the phrase you have in mind, can sometimes be expressed "as end of story" meaning that there was a positive outcome or  some situation was resolved. Would that fit your context?

http://www.englishexperts.com.br/forum/como-dizer-negocio-fechado-em-ingles-t23680.html says "square deal"but I have never heard that. Maybe others have.

9 Apr 2015     

1    2    Next >