Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > which one is correct?    

which one is correct?

moemendhia
Tunisia

which one is correct?

Please tel me which one is correct :
1-This is a table and two chairs .
2-These are a table and two chairs .

12 Apr 2015      

TamiSotelo
Argentina

Number 2, since the words "these" or "this" is introducing a group of 3 objects, you should use the plural form.

12 Apr 2015     

moemendhia
Tunisia

thanks a lot .

12 Apr 2015     

jannabanna
France

Hi,

As a Brit., I would use number 1: There’s a table and two chairs in the room.  

The verb form usually follows the first noun (singular or plural) in the sentence.  It would be very strange to say: There are a table and two chairs in the room.  I personally have never heard it said like that.  Let �s see if other native speakers think the same.

If in doubt change the sentence around like this: There are two chairs and a table in the room.

Janet 

12 Apr 2015     

Apodo
Australia

I agree with jannabanna.

12 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

But, Janna, the question used "This is", not "There is", so there is more to it.

First, I agree that we use "is". However, this sentence would only be used in teaching vocabulary.

This is a door.
This is a book.
This is a table and two chairs.

In any regular conversation, you would ay either "Here is a table and two chairs" or, as she said, "There is a table and two chairs in the room."

Bruce 

12 Apr 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I would say this is for the reason listed above that the first word mentioned is singular.

12 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, we go by the first noun, so in should be �is �. The reason it sounds odd is, as others have pointed out, it wouldn �t be really what is said; not a natural utterance. 

12 Apr 2015     

moemendhia
Tunisia

thank you all so much , very kind of you :))

12 Apr 2015