Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Penpals project (I need a piece of advice)    

Penpals project (I need a piece of advice)

miss_marina...
Chile

Penpals project (I need a piece of advice)

Hello dear teachers !

I need your advice. I really want my students to start practicing their writing skills in a more real context than writing to their own teacher. But I don �t feel confident enough to let them write emails since there are no filters of any kind and you don �t know how and what they are talking about. 
Have you ever find yourselves into this dilema?  Do I need to trust more? Can you share one of your experiences with me?

Thanks and I hope you can help me with this little issue.
Cheers, from Chile.  

12 Apr 2015      

teachermarcilene
Brazil

Last year, I ran a Pen Pal Project with my 6th graders, and I wasn �t confident about either. So, they wrote letters. I gave a kind of script for them, with questions and possible answers. Before that, I taught some topics about vocabulary and grammar. When they were writing their letters, some of them wanted to go beyond the script. Then I got very proud of them, encouraged them and just needed to help with new vocabulary.

I know my experience was with handwritten letters, but the script idea might be useful for you.

12 Apr 2015     

Minka
Slovenia

Create your own account and then accounts for your students. The mail they send or receive comes to you first and then you approve it or not. I think it �s great.

13 Apr 2015     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

Agree with Minka , ePals.com is good for that.

13 Apr 2015     

miss_marina...
Chile

Thank you all for your replies! I will definitely try the website. 

13 Apr 2015     

mracine
Japan

So I had a friend who had her Japanese students write letters to their American fans.  She go their address from http://www.fanmail.biz/

To quote her facebook account 
"I mailed the letters and today Robert Downey jr and Johnny Depp wrote back to every student who wrote to them and gave them a signed photo!!!!!"

I think she sent the letters with return envelopes with the postage and address included. I �m not 100 percent sure but you may need to get US "forever" stamps to put on the return envelopes.

Anyways, it was a big hit with her class.  If you can �t get enough stamps for each student, you can try to send a few from each class.  Good luck.

16 Apr 2015