Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Demanding students    

Demanding students

Magdalena Ganowska-Sztuba
Poland

Demanding students

Dear teachers,

I am writing to you for some advice, maybe you can share your ideas with me. I have an adult student (pre-intermediate) who is very demanding and wants lots of revisions and my ideas are on the verge of exhaustion. We mainly speak and do lots of speaking and listening exercises. Can you share your sources / ideas with tasks I can do? I did a lot of gap information, comparing pictures and describing pictures. What other speaking tasks I can do to practice Past Simple for example? tank you for your help and greetings from Poland

22 Apr 2015      

maryse pey�
France

http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/search.asp?eje=30&page=1&nivel=any&age=0&tipo=any&contents=picture based conversation&orderby=#thetop

You will find on this site (with the link above) several ideas. 

22 Apr 2015     

ilonzia
Poland

Have you tried story cubes or Tabboo. Do you know "The Great verb game"?

22 Apr 2015     

carme sammut
Malta

Similar students need several tasks within one lesson.  Their attention span is very limited and this hinders them from participating.  The lesson should be made of multiple tasks and missions.  

Example:  introduce your lesson with a song or instrumental music.
                  Then ask your student to write down emotions felt during the song or else he may draw his emotions.
                  Then move on to auditory tasks and exercises.
                  Start your objective grammatical or any other language competence.
                  Exercises should be given language games format,  for instance crossword puzzles, word search, find the correct word.
                  Conclusion should be creative writing:  writing an e mail, letter, a recipe, a shopping list.

good luck

22 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Picture story dictation. � Get some news stories, Tell them to your student while drawing pictures/symbols. Then ask questions about it, eventually getting the student to re-tell the entire story. 

22 Apr 2015     

class centre
Belarus

my students love the tasks where they have to keep on talking until the time is out ( bomb, sound timer etc.)

google something like " online timer"

22 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

If you have the internet, a great resource is newsinlevels. I ask my students to choose 3 stories which interest them, read them, watch the clip, then come back and report the articles to me, answering the �wh � question words. Also, why they chose those particular stories - what is interesting etc....

22 Apr 2015     

stessenspaola
Argentina

I use the internet TESL Journal http://iteslj.org/ and also TV series like Friends where you can find many informal expressions and phrases that can help your students to talk in a natve like manner

22 Apr 2015     

ninon100
Russian Federation

Two books:
Speaking extra
Listening extra
They will keep him busy, believe me :) 

23 Apr 2015