Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > I need help, its my first time!    

I need help, its my first time!

miss_marina...
Chile

I need help, its my first time!

Hi everybody!!

In a few weeks I will start  teaching groups of kids for the very first time and I �m really nervious about it. The groups are formed by 30 kids (from 10 to 13 years old). The problem I �m having is that I can �t find a nice ice breaker for the very first class. I found on the net very good ice breakers, but they are not suitable for our first meeting.
So if you have some ideas for me, I will deeply appreciate your help.

Thank you in advance and hugs for everybody !!!

Hug 

21 Feb 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=4316

21 Feb 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

Hello there!

I �ve been teaching beginners ages 13 and up for several years now and I find the following to be a good ice-breaker as well as a way to learn their names FAST!!!

1.  Set all chairs in a circle, enough for everybody, including you.  Tell them to all sit in a chair.  You sit in the last one available.  (With 30, it might be a challenge...can you get another person to split the activity with you?)

2.  Begin by stating your name, for example, "My name is Ms. Whangdoodle".  The first student to your right has to say his/her name, then say, "And this is Ms. Whangdoodle."

3.  The next student to his/her right has to do the same thing but now, of course, remember his or her name PLUS 2 more, ending of course with "And this is Ms. Whangdoodle", namely, you.

4.  Continue around the circle until everyone has participated.  It gets harder as you go, and there can be many opportunities for laughs, some support, and cameraderie.

5.  Do it once, then make them all get up again and tell them  they MUST sit with completely different people on either side, then you pick your spot last, to challenge whom you like!  I usually end up doing 3 complete rounds.

6.  Make sure you try your best to say all their names at the end!  If you pay attention, you can learn all their names in under an hour!

GOOD LUCK!

Your American friend

21 Feb 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi,
You can ask them, if they speak English and they will of course say that they don �t, then you show them pictures of things which we say in English like hot dog, hamburger , internet and so on. You can also use product labels like "Vanish" . I show them a power point presentation with these things, but flashcards will do it. Then you ask them if they can remember other words. Then I give them a worksheet with pictures of these same words and they write the words under the pictures.

21 Feb 2009     

Bruno Andrade
Brazil

hey,
Zoemorosini �s idea is wonderful. It really helps.

What you can do other than that is
- Ask students to write on stripes of paper personal information such as: "My best friend name �s Andre." or "I have a dog. Its name is Pluto"
- Get them to write at least 5 stripes.
- Collect them all.
- Get everybody to stand up and give one stripe to each student (as long as it �s not theirs own)
- They have to go around the class and discover whose stripe is that by making questions.

It �s a nice ice-breaker.

Have fun
*** DONT FORGET TO DOWNLOAD MY WORKSHEETS****

1 Mar 2009