Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary and grammar questions    

vocabulary and grammar questions

Pedro14
Spain

vocabulary and grammar questions

Hello everybody,

Hope you all have had a nice weekend. Last Friday one of my advanced students asked me if there is an expression in English for this: A friend helps you out fixing something. Once the job is over, he tells you jokingly that you owe him 50 euros. You answer that you are short of money and that you can �t give him any money. Then, your friend replies: "Then you �ll have to pay with your body- jokingly as well." In Spanish there is one expression for the last part "pagar en especias; literally pay with species. I �ve been searching the net and found the expressions "to pay in kind" / "to pay with the flesh" / "You can take it out in trade". Not all of them appear in an ordinary printed dictionary, though. Which one is the most natural one, if any?

The following question I have is about some gaps which should be filled with modal verbs of obligation or deduction. I do understand when to use them but there are some gaps I �m not completely sure about. If anyone were willing to help me out with it , I  would send them the sentences via PM. They are just 11 sentences. I don �t want to take much space from the forum.

Thanks in advance.

3 May 2015      

yanogator
United States

I haven �t thought about it too deeply, but I think "I �ll take it out in trade" is probably the closest expression we have. It means that if his profession is fixing things, and you teach English, then in payment for his help, you would give him English lessons.

To pay in kind would be for you to do the same for your friend as he did for you.

Your friend might say "You can pay me with flesh" (not "the flesh), but I don �t think it �s a very common expression these days. 

I �ll gladly help you out with the rest. As far as your concern about forum space, the length of a post here doesn �t make any difference, so it wouldn �t have been a problem to post them in the same post.

Bruce 

3 May 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

We used to say "payment in kind." I haven �t heard it said for while, mind. I thought the expression in Spanish was "pagar en carne," or is that just Andalucia?

3 May 2015     

Pedro14
Spain

Yeah, you can also say "pagar en carne" . Then according to Bruce detailed answer, "pay in kind" and "take it out in trade" wouldn �t be a good translation.  I guess "pay with your body" or "pay with flesh" would be the closer expressions in meaning. The later is not common though.

Thanks a bunch Bruce and spinney.

3 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

One more thing (highly tongue-in-cheek), if you are a prostitute, then "take it out in trade" is appropriate.

Bruce 

3 May 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

Maybe "It �ll cost you an arm and a leg" is the closest equivalent.

3 May 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

In Glasgow, you used to hear people who were unable to repay a loan suggest that it should be taken out of their "bridge" –that is, the bridge of their nose. In other words, you might have to fight for it.

3 May 2015     

douglas
United States

If you are just talking about manual labor you could say "You �ll have to work it off."

If it �s meant in a sexual way the best I could think of is "You �ll have to pay for it the hard way."

Cheers,
Douglas

4 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Since Pedro mentions the comment was said jokingly, I think MoodyMoody �s suggestion is good. �It �ll cost you an arm and a leg, � a comment meant to be said with a wink, if ever there was one. �Paying in kind � means paying with sexual favours.

4 May 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Or you could pay �au naturel �.� Borrowed from the French, it means �in the nude �, which comes close to paying �in flesh �.�I would only offer this option to�a friend of the opposite sex, though. Cheers, Peter

4 May 2015     

Pedro14
Spain

Thanks a million to all of you for your help!

4 May 2015