Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > AUSTRALIAN THEME SONG FOR ENGLISH WEEK CELEBRATIONS    

AUSTRALIAN THEME SONG FOR ENGLISH WEEK CELEBRATIONS

priscadk
China

AUSTRALIAN THEME SONG FOR ENGLISH WEEK CELEBRATIONS

DEAR TEACHERS,
MY SCHOOL IS CELEBRATING ENGLISH WEEK THIS YEAR WITH THE THEME " A TRIP TO AUSTRALIA"
I NEED A SONG WITH SOMETHING ABOUT AUSTRALIA.
ALL CONTRIBUTIONS ARE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.
P.S KIDS ARE 6-12

3 May 2015      

annedavid
France

Why not Waltzing Mathilda? It �s an Aussie classic. Cheers!

3 May 2015     

priscadk
China

@annedavid, thanks a million. i �ll give it a go:)

4 May 2015     

seansarto
United States

"Down Under" by Men at Work - 80 �s classic about Australia.

4 May 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

How about There �s nothing like Australia song (it �s a song for a commercial)? I think it �ll be suitable for the older kids.
You can check out the lyrics in the preview of my ws and the link is in the description. 

4 May 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi priscadc

I think Give me a home among the gum trees is ideal. The plus side is that it includes several Australian animals.   It�s popular with all ages and was even the theme song of a popular TV show from 1987-2004 called Burke�s Backyard.  The video of the show�s theme song is here.  Also, Don Burke has filmed shows in China - you can see the range here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLWzPQmd5sc

Waltzing Matilda is a great song, and an Aussie icon too, but it�s basically about someone who steals a sheep and then commits suicide rather than go to jail for his crime. DownUnder is also an Aussie icon but it has adult themes (drug taking, drinking, vomiting, stealing land from indigenous people) plus it was subject to a plagiarism case (and the band member then took his life as a result of this)).

Sophia, I had never heard this until now. So funny that I didn�t know about this great 2010 tourism commercial. That�s what happens when you mute the ads on TV, lol! But I like it.

Cheers

Jayho

4 May 2015     

cltaylor
Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D-LmRNdQiQ
 Tie Me Kangaroo Down - Rolf Harris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysaskdFpPz8
 kookaburra sits in the old gum tree

4 May 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi

Tie me kangaroo down is another Aussie classic but, I don�t wish to be a wet blanket, it�s not really ideal now that Rolf Harris is serving time for sex offences against children. 

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree is fine though. Interestingly enough, this is the melody that was plagiarised in I come from a land downunder.

Cheers

Jayho

4 May 2015     

priscadk
China

A Big thanks to all of you, you are and shall always be my professional darlings. cheers:)

4 May 2015