Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your help.    

I need your help.

sumerce
Colombia

I need your help.

Open your book on page ....... or open your book at page........ or open your book to page  ....?????
Thaks for your help 

13 May 2015      

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

Open your book ON page.

13 May 2015     

alien boy
Japan

open your book to page ...

13 May 2015     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

I don �t agree wholly that only one of these is O.K.
I would not suggest �to � as that shows some sort of movement.
You could say though: Please finish page 1�and�skip �to � page 3, for example.
I would say that�both �at ��and �on � are O.K. for your sentence.
It is difficult to be certain even as a native speaker, as grmmatically speaking the book would need to be open already for someone to do something �on � page 1, for example.
Equally, you cannot have an action + a place without using �at �, but again you �d need the book to be open already.

I would suggest (and I do mean suggest and not prescribe) that no-one would criticize or correct you, from a native speaker �s point of view anyway, whichever (on/at) you used in that sentence.

13 May 2015     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

Again I confirm "Open your books ON page ..." but NEVER at page. I have been working with native speakers of English for six years now!

14 May 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

"Open your books at page X" is the preferred British English way, but we read what�s on the page and we may ask our students to "turn to" page X . "Open your books to page X" seems to be an AmEng thing.

14 May 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

�# Sarsar: native speakers are not right by definition! You�d be surprised how often they make mistakes. As Alex said, we open�a book AT a certain page and read what�s ON the page.�But you might say "You�ll find the answer on page 12" when they are reading the book. As Matthew said, no-one will criticize you. Remember that prepositions tend to change through usage. Just to give you an idea, which is correct:�ON the weekend or�AT the weekend? ON the corner or AT the corner?� For us Auzzies they are both correct, while Americans and�the Brits have their preference for just one.�

Cheers, Peter

Image result for teacher is correct

14 May 2015     

sumerce
Colombia

Thanks for your help :)

14 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Alex is right that in the US we open our books to a page.

Bruce

14 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh, American English, eh? At least they don �t open the books for a page. ;-) Love the new avatar, Nasreddine Sarsar! Oh, the usual one is back! Love that, too. 

14 May 2015     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

Your avatar is unique Lynn! I love it,

14 May 2015     

1    2    Next >