Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Have got or to have got?    

Have got or to have got?

crispego
Spain

Have got or to have got?

Good afternoon everyone! I have a doubt when enunciating the verb have got. I �m not sure if I should say "have got" or "to have got" in infinitive. Thanks in advance and have a good weekend!

22 May 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �ve been thinking about this and I don �t think you can have �have got � as an infinitive. Maybe because it is describing a state. It is therefore different to �to have �. 

23 May 2015     

Minka
Slovenia

I find it strange to have a verb that does not exist as an infinitive. How can that be?

To me, "have got" looks like a past infinitive by its form. And you can say "to have worked".

24 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Yes, it is strange. It �s because it isn �t really a grammatical form. It �s really just a British expression meaning "to have".

Bruce

24 May 2015     

Minka
Slovenia

I �ll trake your word for it :)

I find it really useful to have native speakers who are willing to write all those replies explaining things to us, thank you for being so kind!

24 May 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Well, it may be British and as such very strange, indeed, but technically it �s the Present Perfect of �to get �, in the meaning of "to obtain".  That �s different from the "You �ve got to see that movie" which means �must � or �have to �.
The meaning of "I �ve got a cat" is exactly the same as "I have a cat" and "I �ve got to go" is exactly the same as "I have to go."

Cheers, Peter

(P.s. # Lynne. I love the silly English. I married one who escaped to Australia.)

24 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

But, Peter, it �s not quite the same.

"I have got a sweater in the car" is different from "I have got a sweater from my brother for Christmas every year". (In the US, we say "have gotten"). 

Bruce

24 May 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

I know Bruce. The "I �ve gotten" as a replacement for "I �ve received" is clearer. I guess that �s why you say "I �ve gotten" instead of the "I �ve got."  You Americans are more sophisticated by sticking to the purer form of English, so to speak. 
Cheers, Peter

24 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Peter Hardy - how dare you!!!!!!!! Americans more sophisticated!!!! My arse! ;-)

25 May 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

My Dear Lynne, I did add "So to speak" meaning only in this field.

In order to apologize for all who feel offended, herewith some American behinds.

Cheers, Peter

25 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Well, Lynne, you bought arses into the conversation!

Bruce

25 May 2015