Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Past Simple Game    

Past Simple Game

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Past Simple Game

Hello, 

can you recommend an amusing game practising past simple, please? I teach a small group of adults. I know that there are many, but I can �t really think of any now, since I haven �t been teaching for a while.   Thanks a lot. 

26 May 2015      

etoilist
Tunisia

let them talk about their life when they were young. the best game they would like to play is to talk about their spring time of life..when they were "lambs" as they are "tygers" now.. as william blakes says.

26 May 2015     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Yes, that is fairly true. But I �m thinking of how to make this actvity more specific. That is too wide concerning instructions.

27 May 2015     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Yes, that is fairly true. But I �m thinking of how to make this actvity more specific. That is too wide concerning instructions.

27 May 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

They could make up a daily routine line by line, alternating turns. Students have a ball (can be made by crumpling paper). The student with the ball adds a sentence. Then he tosses the ball to another student, who then must add a new sentence. S1. "Yesterday I woke up and then..." (tosses the ball to someone). S2. "I washed my face and then..." (toss) S3. "I phoned my sister and then..." (toss)

27 May 2015     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Yes, that sounds great:-) Thanks a lot!

27 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Also, write a set of instructions, which they have to mime, in pairs or as a group. E.g. water the plant/open the door/clean the window/get up/have a drink/eat a bun/ride a horse etc...whatever. You can even get them to write the cards. After they have done maybe 5, or after the timer goes off, (whichever you prefer) it is �Recall Time �. �What did your partner do? � How many actions can they remember and of course, they have to use past tense. You can also ask for time connectives. First, he watered the plant, then he ate a bun, next he jumped off the desk. After that, he rode a horse and finally he stroked the dog. � 

27 May 2015     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

@cunliffe  Well, I think that this is just what I was loooking for. Let �s see, if it �s gonna work:-) Thanks!

27 May 2015