Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Copyright query    

Copyright query

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Copyright query

Hi guys, when I use pictures to create wss, I always ask permission from the artist or publisher. Only one has ever refused so obviously I didn �t use his picture. A few months later, there it was as large as life, with a few sentences underneath it, on another esl website. No, permission hadn �t been given; the ws creator didn �t worry about that. My query is, if a picture has been �pinned � on pinterest, with no mention of copyright anywhere in sight, is it perfectly legal to use that picture? Does anyone know? 

29 May 2015      

Jayho
Australia

Hi cunliffe

The copyright issue with Pinterest is quite controversial.

At present, people who believe that their intellectual property is copied without their approval can report it following the steps outlined here.

Cheers

Jayho

29 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thanks, Jayho. I guess it �s usually impossible to be certain. 

29 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Yes, it is definitely possible for items on Pinterest (or anywhere else on the internet) to have been stolen, so there is no guarantee that things aren �t copyrighted.

Bruce

29 May 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

This article says that pinning does not fall under fair use, but constitutes copyright infringement http://www.businessinsider.com/pinterest-copyright-issues-lawyer-2012-2

29 May 2015     

Jayho
Australia

What�s more, Pininterest is not the least bit interested in you if you get done for copyright. They have it all sewn up as Mary�s article shows. I just unpinned my one and only lonely pin and I can�t even get rid of my account. Yes, I can deactivate it, but it�s still there, waiting for me, with the same name and log in for when I want to re-join. The "audit" trail will never disappear ... even for that one lonely pin.

30 May 2015